Dance of the moonlight jellies

You kept checking the time all day. After Demetrius sent you a letter talking about some event happening next week at the beach you decided to ask Emily about it.

You were at the saloon and sitting next to Shane while Emily explained it to you. "It's really romantic to be honest," she smiled as she cleaned a glass, "the candles, the glowing jellies, all at night too... I was thinking about making a dress themed on it," you nodded and laughed, "Add to the list of the projects you never do?"

Emily smiled and nudged you with her elbow playfully and laughed, but your conversation was cut short by Pam asking for another pale ale. Shane ran his fingers through his hair and shrugged, "Sounds like a great place to ask out that doctor you have the hots for,"

You gasped and kicked his shin under the bar, "Shane!" You whispered, "don't say that so loud!!!" He grinned and took a sip of his beer, "just saying- I mean it's gets tiring listening to how 'hot' he is all the time," Shane used air quotes around the word hot as he spoke. He imitated you in an annoying high pitched voice, "Oh and he's just the nicest guy Shane! I just wanna-"

You gave him a little punch to the shoulder making him interrupt himself with a little 'oof'. "Shane I swear to yoba I'm gonna kick your ass!" He laughed and waved his hand around, "y/n! Just do it! What's the worst that could happen?" You pouted and buried your face in your hands, "He says no and he'll never talk to me again!"

Shane sighed and swiveled his stool around so he would face the bar like you, "Well, he's a great doctor but... I mean with peace and love it's you or Maru-" you laughed and flicked Shane on the cheek, "You are such an asshat you know that?" He smiled and shrugged, "Im a professional asshat y/n and I will keep being one until you get with Harvey and stop talking about him all the time,"

You raised an eye brow and held a straight face, "How do you think I feel when you talk about chickens to me? Harvey is like Charlie to me," Shane gasped, "Don't bring my sweet boy into your hopeless romantic mess," you hopped off your stool and flicked off Shane, "Hopeless romantic my ass alcoholic," he chuckled and tilted his head, "I'll even buy the bouquet so you can finally have some bitches,"

You sighed and gave him a goofy look, "I'll see you at the festival!"

——time skip——

You sat on your front porch, your cat laying on your lap as you took a deep breath. 20 minutes... You looked down at the bouquet and jar of pickles in your hands. You've read the note you tied to the mason jar a thousand times. Nervously, Y/n checked her phone while petting her cat. She started to think of the worst case scenario. Would he even be able to reject me? He might feel pressured into it feel like he has to say yes or he might hurt my feelings.

Y/n held her breath for a minute before checking the time, 5 minutes... nudging her cat off her lap she stood up. The farmer scanned over the note one more time, your handwriting as neat as it's ever been. You began your brisk walk to the beach.

Walking over the bridge near Emily's place your shoes hit sand. Shane ran up to you, seeing what was in your hands and grinning. "You owe me thanks after this farmer," you frowned a little and he could tell you didn't feel like joking right now. He patted you on the back and started to walk, making you tag along. "It won't even be that bad, I promise, even if worse comes worse, I'll be here if it does okay?" You nodded and swallowed hard.

Y/n looked up and saw him over by Robin and Demetrius, taking a deep breath she walked over to the doctor. His cologne mingled with the salty scent of the sea, you could barely meet his eyes. By the way he froze up you knew that knew what was about to happened.

You looked up at him and smiled looking away, handing him the bouquet and pickles. You mumbled, "I uhm... I wrote a note- it's uhm... on the jar," Y/n braced for impact as she saw Harvey's eyes trace over your words. His face was so soft in this dim lighting, the lens of his glasses gleaming in the candle light.

His face flushed a bright red, "I- is this f-for me???" He asked confused barely able to sputter out a sentence. "Yeah- I'm sorry I just though I'd try, I know you don't feel-" he cut you off and stammered, "Y/n??? What are you talking about??? I- I didn't know you felt the same way-"

You looked up at him, and he looked down at you. You watched the way the soft light graced his gentle features. The way the cold winds rustled his hair, how his hazel eyes looked at you so fondly. "Wait you mean that you- you accept?" He blushed harder and nodded, "god I probably seem really childish right now-"

You shook your head no and laughed, "Not at all- oh my yoba you have no idea how nervous I was about this!" Harvey grinned and read the note over again, "I can't believe it... so you seriously Y'know... mean this right?" He asked, hesitation in every word, "it's not a prank?"

Y/n was a little surprised he said that and frowned slightly, "N-no not at all," a thought popped up in her head. A rather stupid one. "I could prove it to you, that I really mean it." Harvey have you a questioning look and tilted his head.

You reached for his tie to pull the 6'2 man down to your level. Your lips collided into his, it took Harvey a second to register what was happening. At first he didn't kiss back in surprise, but after he processed what was happened his reciprocated. You pulled away and gauged his reaction.

Now, Harvey was attractive. But this? The gentle moon light brought out his soft features, his hair ruffled and frayed and his cheeks a cherry red. His mouth was slightly agape, you looked him in his eyes and giggled. "See- I really mean it!"

Harvey scratched the back of his neck and adjusted his glasses, "I- " Disturbing the silence mayor Lewis' voice was heard over the sound of the ocean.

"We're sending out the boat!"

The doctor cleared his throat and reached out his hand for yours. Placing your hand in his and interlacing your fingers, Harvey's thumb on the outside you both went to the docks.

The night went quickly after that. The two of you stood in front of Willys shop, watching the jellies. They'd let the current take them, being carried by the dark purple waters. The sound of the waves crashing on the sand hopefully covered up the sound of your thundering heart.

Y/n shuffled next to Harvey and leaned her head on his arm. The last of the jelly's slowly disappearing into the horizon. The brunette turned to you, "I'll see you soon?" You nodded and kissed him on the cheek, "See you around Harvey,"