The mines

You were down in the mines, deeper than you've ever been. It seemed like there were more creatures dwelling on every level. It was getting hotter and hotter with every level you descended. You turned over your should to see a crowd of monsters rushing you, more than you could count. A mix of heat exhaustion and a lack of energy only let you run so far. You were probably at level 40 before you felt your knees buckle and you collapsed on the stone ground.

When Linus found you, blood was pooled around your head and stomach. You were covered in major wounds and very harsh burns. He slung your arm over his shoulder and drug your unconscious body to Harvey's clinic. The two of you were drenched in rain by the time you arrived at the clinic.

It was late at night and a vicious storm had been raging since 12 am. Linus banged on Harvey's door, and soon the doctor opened the door. At first annoyed, he looked tired and confused. But the second he saw you his mouth hung open. He thanked Linus profusely and rushed you into a bed.

Before he had time to be upset at you for going into the mines against his orders he started to clean your wounds. The burns and deep gashes almost made his heart stop. Harvey didn't realize he cared this much about you. Of course he cares about his other patients- but this... it was like a stab in the heart.

Harvey is no doubt the worst person at identifying emotions, but as he patched you up he felt his heart aching with concern and worry. But it was different than when George forgot his blood pressure medication. It was incredibly different.

—————

Harvey pulled up a chair at your bedside after he cleaned you up. It was around 4am by then and he felt sleep looming over his consciousness. His eyelids felt heavy as he fought the sleepiness. But it was to no avail, he folded over himself and laid his head on the side of your bed. His posture was horrible and he would definitely have back pain for the next few days but at least he would be right next to you if you needed anything at all. After mere seconds; he fell asleep.

————-

Harvey was the first to stir, the sunlight peaking through the clinic windows interrupted his not-so-comfortable sleep. Groaning as he sat upright, his gaze drifted down to you, on the clinic bed. Still, unmoving. He felt a certain hollowness that festered in his body. Like termites had eaten him from the inside out. He was unsure of how much time he sat there, looking down at you with a pang in his chest and a flurry of anxiety-ushered thoughts. It felt like time stopped for a minute when he saw your eyes flutter open.

He didn't want to overwhelm you, but he did scoot closer, placing a gentle hand on the side of the clinic bed. You were in this state of unconscious consciousness. Dancing in the grey space of physically awake, yet not fully functional.

Harvey utterly forgot how upset he was with you when you stirred awake. Your eyes met, and with a weak raspy voice you murmured, "...Harvey?" Just the sound of his name on your lips hurt his heart. This farmer, who had just almost gotten herself killed, meant so much to him.

So many Friday nights shared at the saloon. Walks around the fountain. After he gave you the spare key to the clinic, it felt whenever you had free time you'd stop by. Harvey the same. Whenever he could, after closing up the clinic, he'd head over to your farm and chat. Of course, it's all platonic. Right? I mean, all friends have a little too much to drink and totally accidentally kiss right? Harvey pursed his lips as he realized where his mind had begun to wander.

The nature of their relationship was of absolutely zero concern at the moment, "How bad does it hurt?" Harvey questioned. Your response was strained and simple, "... I'm sore everywhere..." He knew you were never one to complain. Harvey tried to hide behind a more doctor-like facade. You were his patient at the moment. No matter how many late nights and early mornings you had spent together.

He removed himself from you a bit, taking a step back. Rolling up his sleeves and raking his fingers through his messy hair he spoke wryly, "Linus found you. In the mines." The bitterness in his tone was apparent. Yet it came from a place of concern. You looked to your fiddling thumbs and avoided eye contact, "Look... Harvs I-" Harvey scowled, "Please don't call me that right now y/n."

You frowned, "I understand you're worried for me... and I did get lucky this time... but you have have to understand!" Harvey huffed, "Understand what? That you'd get yourself killed for some stupid gemstones or what ever you find in there?" He continued, his hair askew, glasses slipping down the slope of his nose, "What if Linus didn't find you y/n? You could have died. Do you understand me?" He said, snark-ily repeating what you had said earlier.

"I don't know what I would do with myself if that happened y/n. Believe it or not, some people actually do give a damn about you, and don't want you getting yourself killed."

You felt a mix of guilt and shock wash over you. Harvey was such a calm and collected man. Always mellow in nature and kind in disposition. Yet here he was, at this very moment, scolding you for being an idiot. He wasn't angry, just so gut-wrenchingly concerned. There was so much passion and emotion behind his words, upset was how it came off.

But that look in his eyes. His dark brown gaze, coffee colored and warm. He looked at you like he was about to cry, biting his bottom lip and looking down at you on the clinic bed. "I'm sorry..." He sighed in embarrassment, lowering his head and averting eye contact, "I can't make you do anyth-"

You cut him off in a second, "There is nothing to be sorry for Harvs. You're looking out for me, and I did something that you told me to be cautious about." Somehow, despite the fact you were covered in burns and bruises, that playful nature never left you, "Shouldn't I be apologizing to you?" You spoke with an airy tone and a shallow smile. Trying to lighten the situation.

Harvey pursed his lips, unsure of what to do at the moment. God, you just melted him. That smile. Like you had been carved of the purist marble by Aphrodite herself. Something so flawless it simply couldn't be manmade, you had to be a work of the gods. His large hand rested on your thigh, and he sat down on the chair he set up beside your bed. He was rather tall, so his long legs bent awkwardly as he sat.

"You have no idea how I felt when I saw you in that way..." You frowned, not sure what to do, or what to say. So a comfortable silence sat between you. His mahogany colored eyes flickered up to meet your e/c gaze. His eyes were soft and sleepy, yet there was something brewing behind them. Some internal storm of conflict, swirling just behind your grasp. You would ask what's wrong, but you knew. At least you thought you did.

Harvey opened his mouth to speak, yet nothing came out. Taking off his glasses in one hand and rubbing his face with the other he muttered weakly, "Y/n..." His voice sent chills in its wake. So smooth, yet, it had a certain tired grovel to it. You knew he was struggling to say something. The look in his eyes said it all.

Staying silent was your only option at this point. You needed to give him the time to formulate his words, "I can't lose you. I- I just never..." He trailed off for a moment before picking right back up in an unsure and nervous manner, "I've never felt so... I can't even describe it. When I saw you like that, limp, covered in blood and burns and scratches— I felt so..." You knew what he was trying to say. And he assumed you got notion.

Yet, there was still a grey space. When you spoke, your voice was timid, "... it sounds like you're implying something..." Harvey was unsure of how to approach this. He was never the type to confess something so personal outwardly. Harvey knew he was an awkward guy, but knowing that fact didn't help him out. He sat there and fiddled with his thumbs, "Y/n... I think... we uhm... we should try to be more than... what we are now."

Even though you had fully expected something along those lines, it still made your heart flutter. "More than friends?" You whispered with chapped lips to solidify exactly what he meant. He took it and ran with it, at the moment he was a total bundle of nerves, "Yes— but I don't want to rush anything. I think Linus carrying you to the clinic last night was what I needed. It showed me that everything is temporary. And if I want something, I need to take it before it's gone... and...

I want you."

——
A/n: this little one shots collection has gotten so many reads since that one Harvey tik tok came out. Eat well y'all. I'll start posting more bc that shit got me back into Stardew too. 😭 If y'all have any scenarios you want just comment!