Nighttime thunderstorms (pt. 1)6

The day had passed by in a blur, spent keeping yourself busy. Not like you had a choice in the matter, crops needed watering, animals needed feeding, your cat needed petting. By the time dusk had rolled around, you were sat on the docks of the beach, your feet hanging off the edge. No fishing pole vehemently gripped in your hands, no stressful battle to be fought with any fish. Just tranquility.

The sound of the waves filled your ears, the gentle lapping of the salty lazy waves upon the shore was a little song in its own way. A rhythmic cadence of each wave, gently crashing on the shore, before the tide greedily pulled it back. The smell of salt filled your nose, and your eyes gazed off over the flat horizon. Dark swirling clouds devoured any brush stroke of vibrant sunset left. The air felt heavy, yet you were so occupied with the utter serenity of the moment, you didn't notice how dark the clouds were.

In fact, you enjoyed the little sprinkle of tiny raindrops pitter pattering on the waters surface. Making small circles that echoed ripples through the surface. You don't know how long you were out there, but when you broke yourself from your trance, you felt how your sopping wet clothes stuck to your body. You promised yourself just 5 more minutes out on the beach before you would head home. It was night time now, and there wasn't much to see through the thick heavy darkness.

As you let out a small yawn, the heavy down pour took your by surprise. The raindrops soon became fat and heavy, they pounded down on your skin, leaving a stinging in their wake. The rain was announced by a loud clap of thunder, followed by a purple strike of lightening. You knew when you had over stayed your welcome, shivering you jolted up and quickly walked into town, with the thought of your cosy fire place vivid in your mind.

As you walked with a purpose, staring at the paved ground, you bumped into somebody. Looking up, you realized it was your good friend Harvey. The other day, he accompanied you to the flower dance. The thought made you squirm. He looked down at you with concern and a furrowed brow, he scooted closer to you so his umbrella shielded you from the downpour. Not like it did much to prevent you from getting wet, as you were already soaked.

He looked down at you with a stern look, "You have explaining to do y/n." His observing green eyes could tell you had been sitting in the rain for what seemed like hours. He seemed a little upset at your blatant disregard for your health. His large hand grabbed your wrist, it was calloused, yet he didn't hurt you at all, his grip was demanding, yet did no harm.

Tugging you along with him he too you into the clinic, with haste he fumbled around for his keys and stuck them into the key hole, aggressively twisting the keys and opening the door. He tugged you inside and huffed. You could tell he was in a bad mood. You looked up at him and your gazes met.

"What were you doing in the rain y/n?"

I paused and looked up at him, "I was just... on the docks..." His harsh green eyes met with your e/c ones. "Are you serious?" He growled. You've never seen him like this. He wasn't angry, just passive aggressive. I wasn't too sure how to react, "Harvey— are you okay?" He took a step towards you, he towards you and placed a hand on the wall behind you as he backed you into it.

You thumped against the wall. He sighed, frustration laced in his tone, "No I'm not okay. I'm worried about you. You know it's not good to sit out in the rain for hours n/n. You know I hate it when you do stuff like that to yourself. Like when you go to the mines? Or when you pass out in the middle of the night for staying up too late?" He let out a low growl, that for some reason sent a warm feeling flooding your body.

You stuttered back, "I- I can make my own choices Harvey!" This wasn't the first time you two have talked about this. He leaned closer to you, despite how cute you thought he was, he was rather intimidating at the moment. He towered over you, pinning you to the wall, his hair askew and damp. "You know— fuck y/n..." He hissed.

Damn. You've never heard him swear before. Did sitting in the rain piss you off that much? "I only care so damn much because I fucking love you. I know you can make your own choices. But when you do shit like this I can't protect you. What if someone attacked you when you were alone on the beach?" There goes his anxiet- wait what.

'I fucking love you.'

The words echoed in your head, and suddenly everything else he uttered went to shit. "You love me?" He let out a low frustrated groan, "that's not the point right now-! Take care of yourself dammit." He sighed before he grabbed you by the wrist and tugged you upstairs to his bed room. Getting you warm and wrapping you up in a dry blanket.

There was a stretch of silence. Slightly uncomfortable silence. You knew Harvey has been having a bad week. In the spring time, every one was sick, and he was over booked. He even had people from the city schedule with him. His aura had never been so stressed before, so brooding and negative. You realized he wasn't so pissed because you sat in the rain, it was a conglomeration of many small things that equated to one big stressful mess.

"Harvey?"

Your voice was small, not much over a whisper.

"I'm sorry..."

He looked over at you as you sat on the couch. He was stood up, leaned on the counter top. He sighed and rubbed his temples, his soggy shirt slightly unbuttoned and sleeves rolled. "I'm not upset with you y/n you know that... I just... I have so much going on... and I'm worried about you..."

It seemed like his confession earlier had slipped his mind. Like he let out an internal thought and his brain didn't register that he did so. Your mind went back to the flower dance from the other day. His suit. Your dress. His large hand resting on your back. The smell of his college.

Harvey's emerald gaze jerked you back to the here and now. It was burning with hot desire. He had a shit week. And he needed you. Yet he would never act on the thoughts rapidly running through his mind. My e/c eyes met with his, "Harvey..."

It looked like the simple uttering of his name from my lips drove him crazy. I saw the way his eye twitched, like it truly drove him mad. The way his knuckles whitened as his grip on the counter tightened. His jaw became rigid as he clenched his teeth. "I should've just let you go home..."

My eyes widened as he admitted his codependency. I didn't know how to feel, yet I felt a warm red-hot pit in my stomach blossom into a burning tingle in my core. Unsure of what to say, my lips remained parted, "you..." I wasn't sure how to phrase what I was about to say. Or if to even say it at all, but my racing mind and beating heart got the best of me.

"You said you love me."

I stared blankly, although it was more of a question than anything. I waiting for a response. I saw how he flinched, how his green eyes met with mine. "Is it not obvious?" I gulped at his words. "I want you y/n... and it's driving me fucking insane. I can't stop thinking about you. You're always on my damn mind."

He hissed, like the persistent thoughts of me were more a nuisance than anything. I felt the butterflies in my stomach erupt into a storm. He took a step towards me and my body went cold. He closed the distance between us with haste. "And here you are... in my bedroom, at god knows what time." He said as he looked out of the window, the only thing you could see were the fat raindrops framing the nothingness of the dark night.

He sighed, "I'm sorry... I'm never this forward... I just... this week has been a nightmare..." I frown and look up at him unsure of what to do as I sat on his couch, swaddled in a warm dry blanket. How do I help him?

—————
Lmao I'm back. Gonna give this it's own little part 2 so the smut is skipable if that's what you prefer