Chapter 7

Dedicated to Kassilassie for making my amazing new cover! Thank you!

----

Chapter Seven

One would assume that after the ordeal that Kitty had experienced the night before at Lady Russel's that she would have been anxious and frightened to venture out into the world, but she wasn't. He calmed her, Captain Aubrey, he quashed her fears. She was sure of her previous thoughts ... he was a protector.

He cared for people, like no other she knew. He was not related to her which meant that he had no obligation to defend her but he still did. He worried himself about others and that was a very attractive quality in a person.

She was awoken the next morning by her younger sister climbing into bed with her. Kitty liked it when Little J joined her in bed in the morning. They didn't spend much time together as there wasn't much opportunity. They were no longer children so they couldn't go down to the pond whenever they wanted. They were out in society and therefore there were certain expectations.

Kitty rolled over to see Little J lying next to her peacefully. She was smiling sympathetically, obviously trying to be empathetic.

"How are you this morning, Kitty?" she whispered softly.

Kitty smiled and shrugged her shoulders as best she could whilst lying horizontally. "I'm alright," she said truthfully. "Nothing happened, Captain Aubrey saw to that."

Little J's blue eyes sparkled. "I know," she gushed. "It was so heroic. I was very impressed ... I wonder what it would be like to have a man defend my honour."

Kitty rolled her eyes. "I will agree that it was heroic, but he was not defending my honour. The man was vile; he was doing the right thing." She was not going to reveal to her sister that Captain Aubrey had made her feel safer than she had ever felt before. That was a thought she wanted to keep private. If Little J could have secrets then so could she.

Little J shuffled over to her on the bed and kissed her cheek. "Think what you want, you and I both know what happened. I'm so glad you're safe and home with us. I don't know what I would have done if he'd hurt you."

When undressing the night before Kitty had seen that she had purple bruises on her legs and waist but it wasn't bad. She wasn't about to worry her family with them. They would go away eventually.

"You needn't fret about me, Little J, I'm stronger than I look," Kitty smiled at her little sister. Truth be told, Kitty didn't know what she would have done if Captain Aubrey hadn't come when he did. If he hadn't she could have well been pregnant with his bastard child ... or worse, dead.

"I don't doubt it, Kitty. You were always the most outgoing out of the three girls. I don't think you could even put 'outgoing' and 'Annie' in the same sentence," she giggled.

"That reminds me, it's Sunday," Kitty sighed. "I wish we didn't have to go to church. Dressing up and listening to sermons for hours really puts me to sleep, even if it is Annie's husband."

"He's passionate," Little J said encouragingly. "I commend him for following his love. He is lucky that he is able to do what he loves - preaching. I cannot do what I love," she said sadly.

Kitty arched one of her eyebrows. "And what is it exactly that you love doing?"

Little J blushed and sat up in Kitty's bed. "Obeying the rules," she lied obviously.

Kitty shook her head, sitting up as well. "You will tell me, won't you?"

Little J nodded. "Eventually," she promised. "Just not yet, I can't just yet."