Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

William felt physically ill as he arrived back at Ethridge Manor that evening. Organising the men for their voyage had taken longer than he had originally anticipated. He’s had to receive coordinates and orders as well as organise supplies to get them to the Caribbean before they could resupply.

It was well after nightfall and he was sure that the Alcott’s had already eaten their supper. He wanted to talk to Sebastian though he was sure that he had retired for the night. He walked in the door at Ethridge at around midnight and Mr Carter offered to have some food taken to his bedchamber which he thanked him for.

Just having one man wait on him made him realise how used to such comforts he was already, and he had only been residing there for a short time. Kitty had grown up with it her entire life. Could she really just abandon everything she knew?

He decided to go down to the kitchens to eat his food so maids and footmen didn’t have to be woken in order for them to bring it to him. In doing so it meant he walked past Sebastian’s private study.

The door was ajar and he could hear the sound of glass clinking. William peered inside curiously and sure enough, Sebastian was sitting on his settee holding a bottle of whiskey in one hand and a glass in the other. He was wearing a dark robe of his nightclothes and his hair was untidy, as if he had been to bed and couldn’t sleep.

“Lord Ethridge?” William said cautiously.

Sebastian turned his head to see William standing in the doorway. He smiled and beckoned him inside. “We missed you at dinner,” he commented. “Em has grown quite fond of you ... I’m wondering if I should be jealous.”

William laughed lightly at the idea. “You are the only man for Lady Ethridge, my Lord,” he assured him.

Sebastian smiled to himself and nodded. “I don’t know what I did right in my life to get her, but clearly someone up there was looking out for me when they sent me her,” he told him, gesturing to the heavens.

“I would love to be as fortunate as you have been one day, my Lord,” William said honestly.

“You will be,” Sebastian promised. “There is one woman out there for everyone; I’d like to believe that. Emilia is my match in every way. I have had a blessed life. I have a beautiful wife and five healthy children. I should be happy,” he said sadly.

William furrowed his eyebrows and walked further into the room, closing the doors behind him. Was it the drink talking? “Are you alright, Lord Ethridge?” he asked, concerned.

Sebastian held the bottle of whiskey up to William. “Would you like a drink?” he offered.

William shook his head. “I’m not much of a drinker,” he replied. He’d seen one too many people act irrationally under the influence of alcohol.

“Neither am I,” he sighed and placed the glass and the bottle on the floor beside the settee. “I haven’t had a drop; I just thought it might make things a little easier. Truth be told, the whiskey belonged to the last Earl. Would you take a seat?” he offered William the settee sitting opposite him.