Chapter 9 - Photo of Evangeline

Photo on the side is how I imagine Evangeline to look :)

---

Chapter Nine

Kitty scoffed in disbelief. “Naïve?” she asked as her eyebrows rose. Had she not just informed him that she would be praying for him? How could that have been naïve?    

Captain Aubrey sighed and shook his head. “Do not fret about it, Lady Kitty, just forget I said anything. I must take my leave now anyway. I’m due for a meeting with my men.” With that he departed the churchyard muttering something to himself.

Kitty was fuming. He hadn’t explained himself. How could he call her such things without explaining his meaning? Kitty was immediately intercepted by Evangeline who had been sitting in church with her family. Evangeline immediately wrapped her arms around Kitty tightly. “Oh, darling, I heard what happened to you. Mama was talking to Lady Henrietta whose housemaid is the sister of Lady Russel’s ladies maid.” Evangeline pulled away and cupped Kitty’s face.

Kitty knew it was only a matter of time before the rumours travelled around London. “What did you hear?” she asked Evangeline.

Her hazel eyes softened. “That Sir Walter ...” she looked both sides before whispering “Soiled you.”

Kitty’s eyes narrowed. “Lies,” she hissed to her friend in a hushed tone. “He tried but failed.”

Evangeline furrowed her brows. “You fought him? He is twice your width, Kitty!” she exclaimed.

Kitty subconsciously looked after Captain Aubrey but he had already disappeared down the street toward the harbour. “Captain Aubrey came to my rescue,” she informed her absently. As displeased as she was in him calling her naiver, she would not deny the fact that he had saved her.

“Your rescue!” Evangeline beamed. “Oh, how positively marvellous. Darling, you must tell me all about it. Do you expect a proposal?” she asked excitedly.

Kitty rolled her eyes. “Really, Eva, must we speak of men as if they are good for only one thing?” she asked, disgruntled.

Evangeline looked slightly hurt at her friend’s sudden outburst. “Forgive me, Kitty, I meant no offense. I just wanted to see if you were alright. I also wanted to inform you that the baronet, Charles Ford, who has been residing with us, at my father’s insistence, has just asked to court me.” Evangeline looked a little embarrassed at her announcement.

Kitty felt horrid. Evangeline had been her closest friend for years. She knew every thought that passed through her head and they trusted each other immensely. “No, you must forgive me, Eva. I’m sorry for my ugly behaviour. Now, about this baronet – is he handsome?” she asked, trying to change the subject.

Evangeline pointed over to where her family was standing, conversing with a handsome young man whom Kitty presumed to be the baronet. His hair was a light red colour and his clothes spoke of money. He appeared to be quite well mannered as his posture was perfect and he was impeccably groomed.

“He told me that I was a vision,” she whispered.

Kitty could agree that Evangeline certainly was very beautiful. “Then he is a wise man,” she smiled at her friend. “I congratulate you, Eva, and I look forward to attending your nuptials. I trust they will be before the season is up? There is nothing I love more than a summer wedding. You will be the envy of every young debutante.”

“I hope you are right,” Evangeline sighed.

Kitty noticed her family entering their carriages. “I must go, I will see you soon,” she told her friend.