Chapter 14

Chapter Fourteen

"Kitty, wake up!" Little J hissed as she shook her sleeping sister.

Kitty groaned as she squinted into the darkness. She could barely make out the figure of her younger sister. "What are you doing?" she moaned. "It is still night time." She rolled over and closed her eyes once more.

"Get up," she ordered. "Mama and papa are already awake, James, Henry and your fiancée have already left the house and Mr and Mrs Aubrey just arrived!"

Kitty's eyes shot opened. "His parents?" she gasped. "What time is it?"

"Just after six," she replied. "But get up. They won't mind if you're hair is not perfect, they just want to meet you."

Kitty threw back her covers and climbed out of bed. It was then that it hit her. She was getting married in a matter of hours. Sunlight hit her eyes as Little J pulled back the drapes in her bedchamber. She was still wearing her nightgown and her hair was very curly as the rags had been untied. "Little J," she whispered. "I think I'm going to faint."

Little J raced over to Kitty and wrapped her arms around her. "Relax, Kitty," she said encouragingly. "You love this man, and he loves you, do not freak out and leave him."

Kitty's eyes widened. "I'm not going to abandon him," she said, alarmed. "I want this more than anything ... but I'm getting married in a few hours ... and his parents want to meet me," as she said it out loud she felt her heat beating faster and faster. "Why am I so nervous?"

Little J giggled. "It's perfectly natural," she assured her. "When you're in love, everything makes you nervous."

Kitty furrowed her eyebrows. "How would you know?" she asked.

Little J pursed her lips and looked a little uneasy. "I read about it ... in a book."

"Is there something you'd like to tell me, Little J?" Kitty said knowingly. Was her sister in love? Was that where she was going every day?

"No," she answered quickly.

Kitty was taken aback at a sudden realisation. "You are, aren't you?" she gasped. "That's where you go when you disappear every day! You go and visit a man ... Little J, are you his ... no, I can't even say the word." She stepped away from her sister and picked up her wrap and tied it around her waist. She could not believe that Little J was so intelligent yet so stupid.

"I do not visit a man every day, Kitty, and I am not a whore," she said, stumbling over the word. "I am as pure as you."

Kitty watched Little J's face for any sign of her lying. "Swear," she instructed. "Swear to God that you are not being used by any man."

"I swear to God that I am not being used by any man," she promised. "If something like that was happening to me you would be the first person I would tell. You're my sister, Kitty, I tell you everything."