Chapter 20

Chapter Twenty

A wave of pain flooded Kitty’s body as the next contraction hit her. She was glad she would only be giving birth once, as she would not be able to handle the pain twice. Her baby had been prompt. Born at eight and a half months instead of nine months. It was March 12th, 1833.

Her mother sat behind her massaging her back and both her sisters held her hands. The doctor sat before her giving her instructions. Kitty was frustrated at Doctor Turner. He spoke as if he knew the pain she was going through.

“Oh, mama,” Kitty wailed as another contraction twisted her insides.

“I know, darling, I experienced this five times,” Emilia said, trying to sound soothing. “Doctor Turner, how much longer?” she asked desperately.

“Not long now, milady,” Doctor Turner replied. “I can see a head!”

Kitty closed her eyes and pushed as hard as she could. The tears were streaming down her face. It was in this moment exactly that she missed William more than anything. Usually the father would be waiting outside the room waiting for the first cries of the baby. Her baby’s father was at the bottom of the sea.

With all her might she pushed one last time and the sound of a baby’s cries filled the room. A relieved smile came across her face as she relaxed back into her mother’s arms.

“Oh my God!” Little J exclaimed.

Annie was quick to help the doctor wrap the baby. “It is a son, Kitty!” she beamed. “You have a son.”

Kitty watched in euphoria as her son was placed in her arms. Wrapped in a white blanket, the little boy grizzled with his new lungs. He was so small. Smaller than a normal infant as he was born early. His face was red with birth and his dark hair was matted. “Hello,” she whispered. Kitty felt an overwhelming surge of love for the little boy in her arms. No matter how broken she was, she had every reason to live because of him. He deserved a mother who could mask her pain and invest every ounce of love into him.

“Congratulations, Lady Kitty,” Doctor Turner smiled at her as her covered her backup with a blanket. “Does he have a name?”

Kitty looked back at her mother. Emilia nodded as she climbed down from the bed. “Shall I tell your father that he is grandfather to little William Aubrey?”

“Yes,” Kitty replied, looking back down to her son. “William Sebastian Aubrey is a good name, I think. I’ll call him ‘Will’, we’re fond of affectionate nicknames in this family.”

“He looks like a Will,” Little J said approvingly.

At that moment Will stopped his crying and opened his eyes. There they were, the same brilliant blue as his fathers. It both hurt her and endeared her to see William looking out at her from their son’s eyes. She was glad that in Will she would always see William.

“Look at those eyes,” Annie marvelled. “It’s as if William was actually here in the room.”

“Hush, Annie,” Little J hissed.

“No, it’s alright,” Kitty silenced them. “It is comforting to see him in there. William’s not all gone.” She gently rocked her baby instinctively. He made gurgling noises and closed his eyes once again, appearing to go to sleep in her arms.

“I’ll go and let everyone know that Will has been born,” Emilia said proudly as she disappeared from the bedchamber.

Both her sisters cooed over her baby. It made Kitty realise she had to tell them something. “He only has one parent now,” she sighed. “Should anything happen to me I’d like to know you both would look after my son.” She would not choose between her sisters. Godmothers had to be able to look after their godchild no matter what and both her sisters were capable of that.