Chapter 24

Chapter Twenty – Four

Leaving Will in the care of Emilia and Sebastian, Kitty and William ventured into the London naval base to allow William to give his report on what happened to the Admiral of the Fleet – Martin Gregson. The meeting had been arranged some weeks ago and Kitty was quite excited to be meeting William’s superiors.

William wasn’t as excited. Kitty knew he was nervous about the outcome. The navy was aware of his original plan to ‘fake’ his death, and they knew of his amputation. They knew everything and they were well within their rights to dismiss him and strip of him of his decorations. He hoped that he would be able to retire honourably. Any other way would just have been humiliating for him.

The base was not what Kitty expected. She expected the building to be less impressive. It was quite a rustic looking structure. The columns that supported the upper level were made of beautiful sandstone and the shutters and frames were all a brilliant royal blue. There were two flags being flown – one was the flag of England and the other was the flag of Great Britain.

Kitty took her husband’s hand as they exited the carriage. She gave him a reassuring smile and nodded with encouragement. As they walked through the doors Kitty herself felt a panic consume her. She felt completely underdressed. She was wearing a simple cream coloured dress with a pale green ribbon tied around her waist. There was nothing incredibly special about her dress which made her feel inferior when looking at the luxurious furnishings of the King’s naval base.

William was wearing his naval uniform with all his decorations, in particular his gold hilted sword. His posture was completely rigid and his dark blond hair was neatly combed back.

Two men came out of the double doors to the left of him. She had no idea whether they were of a higher rank to William or not but nevertheless they both saluted her husband and he them.

“Admiral Gregson will see you now, Captain,” the first man said. He looked young, younger than Kitty even so he had to be of a lesser rank.

“Thank you, Lieutenant,” William replied stiffly.

Both men looked at Kitty curiously which made her question her right to be there. Perhaps she was to wait outside. But William took her with him anyway, not giving her the opportunity to remain behind.

The Admiral of the Fleet’s office looked remarkably similar to her own father’s office. The walls were lined with mahogany bookshelves filled with all sort of titles and genres. The centre of the room was dominated with a large oak desk neatly organised. The floor was blood red carpet and felt soft underneath her feet. The most remarkable thing in the room, however, was the man sitting behind the desk.

It was clear that he was in charge. He gave off an air of superiority, one that trumped William’s when she first met him. His green eyes were wise and somewhat calm. His dark hair was greying and he looked to be a little older that her father. His naval uniform was covered in medals and decorations to show off his many accomplishments that led him to the top job.

William saluted his commanding officer formally and Admiral Gregson returned the gesture. Kitty didn’t know what to do. Clearly she shouldn’t salute so instead she curtseyed slightly, feeling like an imbecile.

“Captain, milady, take a seat,” he said, sounding quite docile, as he gestured to the wooden chairs before him.

Kitty tried to hide her nervous jitters as she sat down in the chair before the most important man in the navy. He sat down in the grand chair behind the desk and looked at the both of them.

“I’ve never really liked this office,” he said, somewhat casually. “It’s nothing like the feeling of being at the helm.”

“I know exactly how you feel, sir,” William replied, smiling slightly.