Chapter 7

"Would you like anything to eat?" Owen asked as you both were at his bungalow. Sitting on the steps outside, you watched him fix his motorcycle. It was currently broken at the moment. "I have a lot of food, so help yourself."

"No, thanks." You replied, "I'm not hungry right now."

"So, how's your dad doing?" He questioned while you gulped. "I haven't seen him since I went into the Navy."

"Uh, well," You paused. There was sadness in your tone. "He, um, passed away."

Owen's eyes widened in shock as he dropped his screwdriver. It made a thud as he stood there, frozen on the spot.

"W--What?!" Was all that he could muster.

"He died a couple of years ago." You continued solemnly. You remembered it all too well. He went on a mission and never came back. It took years until they found his half-rotten body buried underneath the ground.

"Aw, fuck man." He frowned, "I didn't even know."

"I'm sorry that nobody told you this sooner." You said sadly, swallowing down your swelling throat.

"I should be the one saying sorry." Owen heaved. He then blinked his eyes, supposedly trying to stop the tears. "He was my best friend and I've known him for years. I don't--"

You then heard a car pull up towards Owen's bungalow. Through the window, you saw a woman inside.

"Who's that?" You asked, referring to the woman. Her heels clicked as she walked outside of the vehicle.

"Claire," Owen replied, regaining himself before focusing on her. "So, what do they want now?"

"They want you to take a look at something." She replied.

"Do you wanna look here or in my bungalow?" Owen smirked, wiggling his eyebrows. You and Claire both cringed at his flirting techniques. It was very terrible.

"That's not funny," Claire replied while Owen chuckled. She then changed the subject. "Anyways, we have a new attraction."

"Oh, really?" He questioned, "That's not what you said the last time."

"Well, according to Masrani," She continued, "You can control the raptors."

"See, here's the thing, I don't control the raptors. It's a bond, that was formed by mutual respect." Owen explained, "That's why you and I never had a second date." 

After that, you zoned out completely. You had no interest in hearing the banters of Owen and Claire, but your ears still listened anyways. They seemed to have a history together, but things went wrong after that one date. You wondered if she's the same aunt Zach and Gray were visiting.

"Okay," Claire sighed, getting annoyed. "Can we please just focus on the asset?"

"The asset?" Owen repeated, raising an eyebrow. He then finished fixing his motorcycle. "Look I get it. To you, they're numbers on a spreadsheet, but they're not. They're actually living, breathing creatures. You may have created them in a test tube, but they don't know that. You see they're thinking they gotta hunt, they gotta eat, they gotta--"

He then made fisting movements with his hand, indicating the mating process. Claire watched him with an unamused expression.

"You can at least relate to one of those things, right?" Owen questioned.

Claire then slowly walked up towards him just inches away from his nose.

"You might wanna change your shirt." She said softly, ending and possibly winning the conversation. "They're attracted to smell."

***

Owen had offered to take you with him to see the attraction, however, you declined. You spent enough time with him that you wanted to head back to Zach.

That is if he was still there.

Checking your time, you saw that it was late. You told Zach to leave because you knew that Gray was excited. Arriving at their hotel room, you stared at the front door. Even though you told Zach to go, a tiny part of you didn't believe that he did. You sighed before knocking on the door. You were then unamused when you heard it unlock.

"Hey, you came back," Zach said, opening the door.

"Zach, why'd you wait for me?" You asked.

"I thought that we'd still go together." He answered.

"But, you wasted so much time." You sighed.

"Relax, we still have a week," Zach reassured you before calling his brother. In no time, you heard footsteps getting quicker and louder.

"Oh, yes!" Gray cheered, jumping outside. "Come on! Come on! Let's go already!"

"Alright, alright, sheesh." Zach calmed him down.

Gray continued running while Zach followed behind. You were still annoyed that he stayed, but it was also kind of sweet.

"Thanks." You mumbled. Zach then glanced at you. "For waiting for me."

"No problem." He replied.

A/N: In my original Zach x Reader, Reader goes with Owen to see the Indominus but here Reader doesn't. Also, I didn't add the part where Owen and Claire were talking about their date because that was boring lol.