Chapter 19

"What do you mean use the raptors?" You heard Claire talking on her cell phone.

"Son of a bitch." Owen cursed, overhearing the conversation.

"You shouldn't say that," Gray mumbled.

"Get the kids," Owen continued. His eyes then stared at the gate doors. "And take them someplace safe."

As the doors opened, the humans, Pteranodons and Dimorphodons all rushed in immediately. Everyone hustled into a vacant van to avoid the other tourists. As Owen drove the vehicle, the others did their best to navigate him away from the other people. He backed into a space and then stopped instantly.

"This does not feel safe," Zach said.

"Can we stay with you?" Gray pleaded.

"I am never leaving your side," Claire replied.

"No, no him." The boys clarified, pointing at Owen. He and Claire both stared at each other simultaneously.

"Yeah, definitely him," Gray repeated, causing you to roll your eyes.

***

You finally arrived at the raptor enclosure. Hoskins greeted them with a warm smile as Owen and Claire got out. Instead of a friendly gesture, he got sucker-punched in the face by Owen. Both Zach and Gray gasped while you widened your eyes. But, to be fair, he had it coming.

"Get the hell outta here." Owen threatened, "And stay away from my animals."

"Hoskins you wanted this to happen you son of a bitch." Claire glared.

"Oh, geez, how many more deaths does it take for you to realize this is a serious issue here?" Hoskins argued, rubbing his cheek. "When this is all over, they're gonna realize that you saved lives. Or better yet, how your animals saved lives. This is an Ingen situation now."

"It's a field test." Barry clarified.

"And, it's happening!" He yelled, narrowing his eyes at Owen. "With or without you."

You watched the men go into the hut to discuss further. Something about this plan didn't feel right. You immediately left the van and then began heading towards the hut.

"Hey, where are you going?" Zach asked behind you.

"I'm gonna go help." You explained, turning around to see him.

"Do you think Owen would let you?" He continued.

"He has to." You said hopefully.

"Does he know?" Zach whispered, leaning in close.

"No, but, I'll have to tell him." You replied, "He might need backup, just in case."

"Just in case of what?" He repeated.

"Just in case the raptors don't follow through with the orders." You added, "They're still wild animals, you know."

Zach immediately put the pieces together. "You'd be on our side."

"Exactly." You nodded.

"Well, um." Zach paused, interlocking his fingers with yours. He gently squeezed your hand. "Good luck."

"Thanks." You smiled softly. Eventually, you let go of Zach's hand to go see Owen. He stared at you when he saw your presence.

"What do you need?" Owen questioned.

"I want to help you out." You replied.

"Absolutely not." He said immediately.

"Please, Owen you're gonna need me." You insisted, "I know how to help."

"You can help me by staying here." Owen said, "I already lost your father. I'm not losing you too."

You then observed the area around you. When the coast was clear, your nails grew into claws and then your skin changed into scales. Owen's eyes widened in shock while his jaw was slightly agape.

"I can do more than just my hands." You continued, showing them off to him. "I'm a dinosaur shape-shifter."

"What?!" He sputtered out. "How?!"

"Genetics." You answered him.

"Wait a minute," Owen stopped you, trying to process this. "Does that mean Ray was a--"

"Yes," You answered.

"And, you didn't bother to tell me." He continued, raising a brow.

"I didn't know how you'd react." You shrugged.

"Well," Owen paused, "I'm reacting now."

"This is why you need me." You added, "I can help you."

Owen thought about it for a minute. He then sighed. "Fine," He eventually agreed. You then smiled. "You can help, but only if you promise to follow my orders."

"Deal." You agreed before going into a secluded area. Taking a deep breath, you then began transforming into an Allosaurus. Owen watched in a mix of awe and confusion. You then revealed yourself into the open while Owen had to explain to everyone that you were with him. He then led you near the raptors who were still in the cages.

"Are they safe?" Gray asked.

"No, they're not," Owen answered, staring at him.

"What are their names?" Zach inquired.

"You got Charlie, Echo, Delta and Blue." Owen replied, "She's the beta."

"Who's the alpha?" Gray questioned.

"You're looking at him kid." Owen nodded and then smirked. Zach and Gray then smiled as Claire escorted them back into the van. Zach gazed at you one more time before going inside.

"Alright!" He ordered, "Let's get this show started!"