Kisses and goodbyes

Sweeney ran up the stairs and into his home like a bat out of hell. Instinctively, he moved to his favourite bay window to think, overlooking the dimly lit street below. Judge Turpin, the man who ruined his life, was about to walk back into it. If only he hadn't been so caught up in Eleanor's affairs and had given his contingency plan against Turpin a thought... But then again, this upcoming encounter with the judge came earlier than expected. In his original timeline, they simply ran into him one day while they were talking a walk around town with Johanna. He'd made the mistake of leaving them alone to greet one of his patrons and when he returned to his family, Judge Turpin was chatting his Lucy up, undressing her with his dark eyes as he smiled lewdly in what marked the beginning of his dangerous obsession. That must have been in late July or early August. He knew, because he recalled the reason they went out in the first place: they were going to buy something for Eleanor's birthday.

He clenched his fists, ready to go on his usual Eleanor-blaming tirade before he realised it would be fruitless. He should not focus on bemoaning the past but on changing the future. As the Watcher said, he had the gift of anticipation now and he'd make use of it, he would not squander his opportunity to save his family. So with a clear head, he analysed the facts. He was aware that this time it'd been his fault, had Arthur not been arrested, there would be no trial in which his path and Turpin's would cross before July. Moreover, he knew Lucy would be called to testify, as she had been home, in her room above the shop with Johanna when the robbery took place. He couldn't let that happen, he couldn't let the Judge set his filthy eyes on his dear wife. But he knew she could not refuse to testify, unless... she simply couldn't be found.

"Ben" she called from the bed, her sweet voice still thick with sleep. He knew she was surprised to see him up so early. He approached her, relishing the sight of her. How lovely she was, how perfect. He would not lose her to him again.

"Good morning, my love" he affectionately pecked her lips and was relieved she did not turn his face and welcomed his embrace. Things between them were still tense but he took this as a sign that his wife was beginning to forgive him. He just hoped what he was about to do would not push her further away, since it was in her best interest. But for the moment, he was content just holding her. A bit awkwardly, she pushed him when she thought his arms had been around her for too long, reminding him that they were not out of the woods yet. She stood up and went to prepare breakfast while Sweeney laid back the bed, his eyes feeling droopier the longer his exhausted body rested on the soft mattress.

"You need to go to the market. I need some things for today's dinner. Potatoes and Brussel sprouts and you should also see how expensive the chicken is. Don't buy it if it's more than two shillings. I also need wool; I am knitting a new blanket for Johanna. Oh, and some ribbon, I need one to match my teal dress. Some flowers would be nice too, you haven't bought me flowers in a while..." she kept talking, enumerating all the things she wanted, disregarding the fact that he could not afford to buy half of them. He sighed, he would love to bring her the moon on a string but they had to be realistic, they were not exactly rich... and yet it seemed like she always wanted more from him. More dresses, flowers, more attentions... why wasn't his love enough?

He stood up and had breakfast in silence before getting Johanna and leaving for St. Dunstan's. He wanted to make her happy before he told her his idea, so he managed to get everything on a budget. He almost smiled when he thought about how proud Eleanor would be of his shrewdness—after she dragging him to the market so many times and watching her haggle, he'd learnt a thing of two... He quickly caught himself, abruptly stopping his train of thought and focusing back on Lucy. He stopped by the flower stand, once again trying and failing to remember whether she liked daisies or gillyflowers. He ended up going for the daisies, for they were a tad cheaper. However, when he went home and proudly showed the bouquet to his wife, he realised he'd made a mistake.