Murdering for love

Sweeney Todd couldn't bear it anymore; her happiness was his misery. Because such happiness was due to none other than his worst enemy, the man who sent him away in another timeline, who raped his wife and stole his daughter to groom her until she was old enough to marry. Vulture of the law who sentenced innocent men, women and children to death was still a better lover for Eleanor... In the great scheme of things, Turpin was the lesser evil of the two monsters that vied for her heart. He made her happy, like Sweeney never could.

As much as he hated it for he was reminded of her betrayal, more than once he caught himself repeatedly wishing he could go back to the other timeline. His original timeline, where he wouldn't have to pretend he wasn't the man he really was. Where the judge was dead and no longer a hindrance to his and Nellie's future. Where his baker smiled just for him and they could plot murder without judgement and make love until they passed out. Where there was a child on the way for them to raise, another chance for him to be a good father. He could dream about it; he could entertain that nagging voice that told him that he should have been careful with what he wished for as long as he wanted. He knew now that in another timeline, perhaps they could have been happy... but going back was not an option. He'd have to stay here with the knowledge that she not only hated him, but was likely in love with his nemesis and he'd driven her to it. That truth was like daggers to his own wounded heart.

Over the next two months, he slowly began to accept it. It was a reluctant acceptance, but finally he understood he had to let her go. Nellie didn't care about him anymore, she wouldn't even look at him when they passed each other on the street. The wisest thing he could do was to forget her and try to be happy with Lucy and Johanna, like he used to dream about. Another chance with them was all he wanted for so long and when he finally got it, he just couldn't squander it. He chose them over Nellie once and he would have to do it again. But forgetting the baker was hardly possible when he only had to look out of the window to catch a glimpse of her every evening.

Thus, Sweeney diversified his areas of work, trying boroughs like Hackney and Golders Green known for their affluent Hasidic communities. It worked, soon he had saved enough to move out and had received approval of his offer to rent a small flat in the rapidly growing community of Tottenham, north of London. Close enough to have access to everything such a big city offered if he ever needed it yet far enough for his future tenants not to have an inkling that he was recently imprisoned. Far enough not to risk accidentally running into her. Everything was set, in a week he'd be leaving Fleet Street and Eleanor Lovett forever. It didn't matter that his heart protested the decision, it was for the best.

He quickly redacted his notice of vacancy and proceeded to go down to hand it to his landlord and landlady. It was quite early, Lucy and Johanna were still asleep but he guessed Eleanor and Albert were already up and running, preparing for the opening of their establishment. His heart was hammering in his chest, and he tried to keep his hopes down, aware that he'd probably only see the fat butcher. Nellie would probably be in the bakehouse, making use of the new fancy oven the Judge had helped finance. But Judge would never be on the menu... as much as he hated him, he couldn't do this to her. For better or for worse, he was her love.

When he entered the shop, Albert was nowhere to be seen. There was only Nellie sitting alone in one of the boots. She sharply turned when he heard the bell ring and Sweeney was shocked to see her eyes were red and her cheeks wet with tears. She quickly wiped them when he saw who it was and adopted a defiant expression.

"What do you want?" she asked, meaning to sound angry but her voice was still shaky. An unexplainable anguish took hold of his heart. "Told ya you're not welcome here."

"I know... I came to give you the notice of vacancy. We're leaving in a week." he began. He never liked to see her like this, it was unsettling. He swore that if the Judge did something to her... Then again, she probably wouldn't tell him. She no longer trusted him, but he still had to try. "Mrs. Lovett, are you alright?".