Aftermath

Sweeney took a deep breath once they were in the lobby. He was trying to calm down his racing mind but he couldn't, not when an innocent boy was following his footsteps by being sent away from his love. What made things worse is that he was now to blame, if only he'd never gotten him involved in his plan to free Eleanor, he wouldn't have been accused of a crime he didn't commit, he could have had a good life... But in his obsession to get rid of Eleanor, he had selfishly gambled with Arthur's future. He'd ruined his life just like Turpin ruined his, and he was still losing his head over Eleanor either way. He looked at her now, with her fake smile as Albert smothered her with kisses that were barely appropriate for a public place. Sweeney wanted to hurt her for awakening things in him that should have remained dormant. But Albert kept talking and her smile kept faltering, and he wanted nothing but to wrap his arms around her and never let go. Because she was already hurting because of him and it didn't feel good.

Sweeney wanted to leave this wretched place, wanted to go back to the peace of his barbershop and hug Johanna's forgotten doll and Lucy's pillow to remember why he did it, to quiet the nagging voice in his head that kept asking him whether it was worth it if it meant destroying two people's life, not mentioning the family the young lad was leaving behind. He hadn't seen them in the courtroom, but on their way to the lobby they were followed by a middle aged couple and a sandy haired child that looked just like his brother. They had thankfully not stayed long, leaving the courthouse as soon as they were out of the room where their son had just been sentenced. The woman sobbing loudly as the men of her family hugged her tightly. Sweeney's heart was breaking, because to 'save' his family, he'd destroyed another. Not caring about looking impolite, he made for the door. God knew when Albert would finish socialising with the slimy Beadle and he felt an imperious need for air. As soon as he stepped outside, he spotted him: the traitor.

Collins looked relaxed, smoking from a pipe as he sat on a bench seemingly sunbathing. The cheek he had, Arthur's transportation was actually his fault! And he did not seem to harbour any regrets. He wished he'd been allowed to bring his razors but he knew they'd taken them if he tried to enter the Old Bailey with them, so he had to leave his friends home. But he could kill without them too. Sweeney approached the unsuspecting lad from behind as quietly as he could, eyes fixated on the target, his slender neck he would soon snap. He thought it was fitting, how his first victim would be the same man in both timelines, it felt like a rebirth of some sorts. He couldn't wait to make him pay. And then it happened, he stepped on a twig, alerting Pirelli. He turned around and as soon as he saw Sweeney's murderous eyes, he ran off. Sweeney wasted no time in chasing him, adrenaline coursing through his veins. He deserved to die and die he would. Soon enough, he'd caught up with him and to his luck, he'd halted his escape in a relatively dark and deserted passageway. Perfect.

"Please, don't kill me, please! I has a family! My mother needs me! I did it for her! I didn't want to! I'm too young to die!" he babbled pathetically, with Sweeney's hands closing in on his windpipes. "Do it for Nellie, we're chums! She won't like that you killed me. "

"Chums? You betrayed her!" Sweeney growled. "She trusted you, she bet on you and gave you a chance to make an honest living, she was always kind to you, went out of her way to help you and your mum! And you still turned against her! You even made up that horrific story of her being raped by Arthur! Trust me, she will rejoice when I tell her I ended your miserable existence!"

"No, please no! I didn't have no choice! With me barbering all day I had to take my mum to a convalescent home to keep her cared for! They isn't cheap! So when Mr. Lovett came to me and offered me 30 pounds to testify against Arthur I couldn't say no" he tried to explain but Sweeney was momentarily at loss. Albert was behind it? That would explain why Pirelli sounded like his landlord when describing the supposed rape. His mind immediately went back to his moments of unabashed lust just hours ago, to the glimpse he caught of Albert and Pirelli chatting as he desperately looked for the toilet. If only he hadn't been so weak, he could have prevented him! And just like that, another thought crossed his mind: Eleanor. If Albert knew what they were planning... he didn't want to think about what that monster could do to her. And he'd stupidly left them alone! Determined to finish Pirelli off so he could run to Eleanor in case she needed saving, he tightened his hands around his neck.