The Perfect Color

"Der?"

Derek looked up from his book. "What's up?"

"Can you pass da gween pwease?"

Derek smiled and grabbed the green crayon. "Here you go, pup," he said as he passed it to the toddler.

Stiles reached out but pouted. "No, Der. Dats too dark." He scooted over and dug through the pencil case. "No!" he whispered. He crossed his arms and his lip wobbled. "Not da wight gween." He sniffled before looking up at Derek.

Derek moved closer and put his arm around the toddler. "Hey. Shh. It's okay, Stiles. What are you coloring? Maybe I can help."

Stiles pointed to his sketch pad. "My famiwy. But da gween hasta be pufect!" He fiddled with Derek's fingers.

"What's the green for?" His gaze flitted over the drawing.

"Da gween is fo you. Cause you eyes is gween."

Derek looked at Stiles and smiled fondly. "They are?"

Stiles grinned and nodded. "Uh huh. Pwetty gween. Wiv blue a-and gway too!" He beamed proudly at his answer.

Derek hauled Stiles into his lap and showed him how to mix the colors. When Stiles was satisfied with it Derek watched as the toddler finished his picture.

"So who all did you color, pup?"

Stiles put his crayons aside and picked up the book. He started pointing at each person he talked about.

"Dats my mommy wiv purdy hair. Den dats my daddy wiv da badge. Dats mama Talia and papa Nate. Ders Unca Peter, den Laura!" He bounced in Derek's lap excitedly.

Derek couldn't help grinning. "What about these two?" He asked, gesturing to the last two in the middle of the page.

Stiles settled down and his voice got quieter. "Dats me and dats you. Cuz mine. See da eyes?" Derek nodded and Stiles giggled. "My mate has da purdy eyes." Derek's eyes widened but he just wrapped his arms around the toddler and sighed happily. He didn't think Stiles knew but of course his mate is so smart and figured it out by himself.

"You're okay with me being your mate huh, pup?"

Stiles laid his head on Derek's shoulder and nodded. "Mhm. Cuz dat means you my vewy best fwend forever. Only mine."