Pawns

Past: Two Years Ago

Jennifer sets things in motion enacting her plan to see Stiles's world burn. She walks up to a small house at the edge of town and knocks. When the door opens, she smirks. "Hello Miss Argent."

Kate stares and quirks a brow. "Who are you and what do you want?"

Jennifer smiles innocently. "Moi? Well, you see I just came to town and well I have some business to take care of and I thought who better to help me than you."

"Is that so? And why would I help you?"

"Because I have plans for someone who you despise despite him being a child."

Kate glares at her and scoffs. "I think you should leave, little girl."

Jennifer laughs and shrugs. "Can't blame me for trying. I mean there's a reason you are on the registry and that reason is one Derek Hale."

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

Once Kate has agreed to help, Jennifer moves onto the next step of her plan. School. She is put in Derek's grade, but she keeps to herself for the next year and a half.

The night after she gets partnered with Derek for a school project she goes home where she's been living with Kate and has no qualms slitting her throat, watching passively as the blood goes down the drain in the cement floor of the basement. She has served her purpose. Can't have Kate harming her mate now, can she? She has a home and plenty of money. She keeps an eye on Derek and Stiles her stupid half-brother. It's sickening how in love they are, and the little boy is not even 8 years old yet. It doesn't matter. She'll be patient.

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

In order to move onto the next part of her plan she checks her magic reserves. She has to be careful considering she wasn't born with magic. She isn't able to gather as much as she wants to because her stupid little brat of a half-brother ends up blocking her. Which pisses her off since it isn't even intentional.

For the past year she has been slowly absorbing the traces of Claudia's spark without her knowing. Jennifer can see that Claudia senses something but not what or who that something is. Unfortunately, Stiles notices something is wrong and instinctively uses his spark to protect his mom after the second time Jennifer siphons her spark. Because of that, the next time Jennifer tries to siphon more of Claudia's spark she can't, and her fingers get singed.

She is livid and that's when she comes up with the idea to steal the magic from Derek's memories with his little pathetic mate. It makes her giddy that it isn't as hard as she thought it would be. A little silver tongue mixed with mating pheromones and that pup is eating out of her hand. It is thrilling to watch Stiles's face crumple when Derek pushes him away over and over again.

Jennifer lies about when her birthday is just so she could make Derek not keep plans with Stiles. The power is delicious, and the tears her little half-brother cries are music to her ears. Soon all of Derek's memories of his little mate will belong to her and he'll be hers. Just a little tweaking and the lovesick pup will believe it has been her all along.

She doesn't like that she has to leave for two weeks but it can't be helped. She has to make sure nothing will stop her, and she has her hooks deep enough into Derek that he is as good as hers. The bond will be fully primed between them by the time she returns and the papers to make a claim are waiting to be signed.

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

Watching the Sheriff is her newest pastime, and she has a gift for him. She slips a letter into his office because who would suspect a small girl like her to have nefarious intentions. They will never believe what is hiding behind the carefully crafted mask of a thirteen-year-old. She hides in the bushes as the Sheriff opens the letter, not wanting to miss out on a single reaction however minute. She doesn't know what the letter says, just that it is from her mother, but it had been sent back instead of to her father. Once she is sure he has started reading she quietly slips away again.

The Sheriff picks up the letter and turns it over a few times, his brow furrowed. Then he opens it and when he sees the greeting he collapses in his chair, his eyes locked on the last words her mother ever wrote.