10) *jonathan byers* wish

Word count- 1372

Genre- fluffff

Warnings- first kiss, bestfriend!jonathan

(im in a "birthday theme" mood shut up...)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I was this close to dying of heart failure," Jonathan's voice drew you out of your haze, the soft hum distant as you watched him push through clearing of the woods.

The tall grass from the bank brushed against your legs in the breeze, making you shiver and the sensation brought you back to the present. You watched as he climbed his way up to you.

A quiver of a smile played on your lips as you looked up at his flushed face, "Funny way to say hello."

He slung himself on the ground next to you once he reached the top, clutching the stitch in his side and let out an exasperated sigh. His head thudded back on to the dingy grass, the sweet aroma of his cologne mixed with weed enveloped you as he did and you flopped down to join him - eager to get close to the scent you grew so accustomed to over the summer.

You weren't sure how long you'd been out here. The sky had just turned a pleasant golden shade as the sun sank lower in the horizon, it was only then you noticed a slight red hue on your bare thighs from potential sunburn. You hadn't even felt the tingle, too busy wrapped up in your pity party and desperation to isolate yourself.

"I've spent the majority of the day traipsing all over town in attempt to find you," he huffed, leaning over to unzip his backpack, beginning to empty the contents of it beside him.

The ripping of grass felt therapeutic in your hands as you bunched the yellowing grass and plucked it from the earth as you listened to him gripe, throwing the small pile at his face, a few strands sticking to his sweaty temple. You pulled his wrist towards you, inspecting his watch, "Only took you - oh."

Guilt started settling, your stomach lurched as Jonathan rolled on his side to face you, his wrist still clutched in your hand. The image of him walking round town as the summer sun beat down on him for that long made you regret your rash decision to isolate yourself.

You gave him a feeble smile, "I'm sorry."

His hand made for yours and squeezed it tight, a custom the both of you had taken to silently reassure one another. Honey eyes gazed into yours, a smile growing on his tired face as he took a moment to take in how you looked in the dying light. He could never be annoyed with you, not for too long anyway.

"Look what I made you," he beamed, sitting up and rummaging around in the depths of his backpack again. "Well, mom helped me last night, but I did all of the decorating - I swear."

He carefully brought to the surface a large Tupperware box full to the brim of cupcakes, all with baby blue frosting and you could make out that the letters that were piped on each one would spell out the words 'Happy Birthday!'. A smile bloomed as you pictured him and Joyce in the kitchen making these for you. What a sweet gesture.

"You remembered," You mumbled, taking one and biting into it, vanilla essence and buttercream melting into your mouth. They were delicious.

Jonathan reached over and tucked your hair behind your ear, the gesture making your stomach squirm in the best way. "How could I forget?"

"It seems as if everybody else had," the words fell from your lips as you shrugged pathetically, tears beginning to brim your eyes.

The events of the day flashed through your mind again and the familiar sting of betrayal crept under your skin as you recounted to him how your other friends blew you off for better plans, parents going about as if it was just another day - even yelling at you off for not keeping your bedroom in order.

Jonathan scoffed, hurt evident on his face. How could they? He'd never tell, but he hated your friends, the way they'd easily discard you. He wanted to shout at those who had made you feel so unimportant. You were so incredibly important to him. He couldn't understand how somebody could make you feel this way. He was going to make sure to always to put things right for you. You'd be able to count on that.

He pulled you up into him, his arms holding you tightly. You felt safe, secure. His fingers fumbled around with a loose thread on your denim jacket as he cradled you. It was quiet for a few moments, the only sound coming from the whirring of the soft breeze around you both.

"Fuck them," he fumed before adding gently, "don't cry. Not over them."

A small sniffle came from you as you did your best to blink away the tears that threatened to fall. You watched as he fished a neon pink candle from the array of things in the grass, lighting it with the zippo from his pocket and plonked it into your half-eaten cupcake.

"Make a wish," he instructed. Jonathan nodded encouragingly, "Go on."

You felt your eyes roll. Being eighteen, you knew that wishes were a bunch of nonsense, but the eager expression Jonathan was wearing coaxed you to do as he instructed.

"You're a dummy."

"Please? Look, I even bought you a pretty pink candle."

That stole a laugh from you, the sound strange and foreign in your ears. You watched as the wax began to drip down the candle, teeth grazing against your lip as you thought intently. It wouldn't be long before the wax would reach summer sky frosting.

"I wish it was just you and me forever," you murmured, blowing gently on the flame as you watched it briefly dance before extinguishing.

Jonathan gave you his best smile, making you feel fuzzy as you stared at your best friend.

"You're not supposed to tell me what you wish for," he chuckled, plucking the candle from the frosting and licked the frosting that caught his edge of his thumb.

"Shut up," you objected, feigning offence like he had just mocked your wish.

A smirk crept on to his lips, "Make me."

"Gross," you giggled, sticking your tongue out and pretending to retch at his remark.

His words caught you off guard, and you screeched like a little kid as you leant forwards and smooshed the cupcake into his face, an infectious bubble of laughter erupting from you as you did. Blue was all over his mouth.

He gasped, taken back by the sudden action and wrestled with your hands as he fought you on to your back, his toffee hair glowing in the evening sun as it hung at either side of his face. He held your hands above your head as he hovered over you, the tall grass swaying wildly around you from the movement of your bodies crashing down. You felt your breath hitch slightly in your throat as you watched his pupils begin to dilate as he stared down at you.

"I'm serious, though," you said timidly. "Everybody else just lets me down."

"Not me."

That was true. Whenever anything fell through, the only person you could ever count on was Jonathan.

He lowered himself, elbows propping himself up and he plucked a stray eyelash from your cheek, his so touch soft that it tickled. You then reached up yourself and swiped what was left of the frosting off of his lips and popped your finger in your mouth, the flavour melting on your tongue. You weren't sure why you did it, but right now you felt you could do anything in the vulnerability of the moment you shared.

The distance closed before you could register what was happening. Jonathan's lips still sweet from the frosting brushed yours gently, a pleasant surprise. Your body tingled with goosebumps as the gesture instantly changed your friendship irrevocably. His hands tangled themselves in your hair as his felt himself melt into you, lips plump and swollen underneath the desperation of the act. He never knew how much he needed feel your lips on his until he kissed you for the first time. And then the second time. You both parted, catching the breath he had just stolen from you.

He buried his head shyly into crook of your neck, nipping sweetly at the delicate skin, "I can do forever."