Chapter 11

"You have no reason to worry, Kagome. This is completely normal."

Sango was a blurry figure to Kagome's eyes, for she had feared the worst when she decided to consult with her about the smatterings of blood she'd found. Now, as relief swamped her, a weight lifted from her shoulders, and she wiped her eyes with her shirt.

"Really?" Kagome rasped. "It's normal?"

Sango nodded gently. "Would I lie to you? Trust me, Kagome. A lot of women go through this. In fact, I did before I had my children."

Kagome looked at her, her brown eyes intense. "But why does it happen? Surely, there must be something wrong. I had never been told that a woman could still bleed during her pregnancy. In fact, the opposite had always been said!"

"I honestly don't know why it happens. But please, rest assured, your baby is fine."

The tears which nearly fell from their precipice, dried up fairly quickly, and Kagome bit back a smile. Not only relief was present, but happiness, just the same. When she'd seen blood on her under-garments, terror struck her with the force of a tidal wave. She had feared the worst; the baby could not be living if she was able to bleed. Surely it was dead, or worst, she had believed herself pregnant and her body had conducted one of the most evil forms of deceptions: a false pregnancy. She'd heard of this type of thing happening to women in the future, but had never come across anyone who went through it personally.

Expecting the worst, she'd shut off all of the candles in her home and left the place with a quickness which rivaled the birds up high. She ran to Sango's home and, in her desperation, urged the woman to wake from her slumber. Sango had seen how distraught she was and gave her no pause. Kagome rambled and even showed her what occurred, feeling no shame toward her friend. Only fear.

What if the baby had died? What if it never was there?

Then she would be alone. So very alone.

But Sango was able to assuage Kagome's fears and informed her that, yes, women sometimes bled during their pregnancies. No, the baby was not dead, nor was her pregnancy false.

Kagome breathed slowly in an attempt to calm her heart which had been set aflutter. She combed her fingers through her hair.

"I just had the scare of my life."

Sango laughed. "You and me both."

Kagome bit her lip. "Sorry," she mumbled. Then she grabbed onto her friends hands and held them tight. "I don't know what I'd do without you. You have no idea how thankful I am to you."

Sango squeezed her hand just as fiercely and said, "What are friends for?"

"I wish I had been there for you when you were having kids."

Sango grinned. "I'm simply happy you came back to us."

Kagome had no words for such a statement, since her heart was near to bursting with happiness. She had such good friends in this world. Yes, she'd had wonderful companions in her time in the future, but her friendship with Sango simply surpassed all those girls. She could not have asked for a more noble person to stand by her side through this process.

Which reminded her. She had left her house in a flurry, without leaving even a note for Inuyasha to know that she was safe and well. She had better hurry back home before he decided to chase after her and cause some kind of commotion.

She made a move to stand and her friend did so as well, thinking that since she was already up, she may as well begin her daily tasks.

"I'd best let you get to work," Kagome told her. Then her brows furrowed, for in her haste to come inside, she had yet to notice that Miroku was not present. "By the way, where's Miroku?"