Chapter 15

For two days Kagome remained in bed without giving much of a response to anyone who visited. Inuyasha stood by her side, vigilantly making sure that she remained safe, and more importantly, alive. Her skin had yet to regain its natural hue, maintaining a pale and ashen color which scared him to pieces. A human did not fare well when they looked that way. He had only to remember his mother before she died to know this.

She was deathly quiet, too. He knew each moment that she woke, for her body stiffened into an unapproachable stance. He could see her looking to the ceiling, or the wall, but she never dared to look at him. He wondered if she felt ashamed of anything, but only for a short moment, for other thoughts quickly overwhelmed him; one of them having to do with the guilt which shamed him every second that ticked by.

This was his fault. It could not be denied for it was as sure as the dawn, rising above the soft mound of earth. Had he been a more accommodating and trusting person; had he been conscientious and simply there, this never would have happened. Kagome needed him, now more than ever, and instead of him taking care of that damned man-to hell with Kaede's pride-he let her waste precious energy on that fool.

He cursed himself a thousand times, inwardly so she would not hear nor awaken.

While Kagome remained abed, Kaede catered to her needs, cleaning Kagome whenever it was necessary. She bled for hours at a time, though they came in short bursts. He wished somehow that he could provide some for her, transferring renewed life. His blood would have been able to heal a wound without question. There was something about it that provided longevity and repair.

But she would not let him come near her. This nearly surpassed his guilt, because it hurt him in ways he could not voice. Whenever he went to touch her, to feel her skin, and in turn, her heart beat, she recoiled from him. The action felt to him like a blow, far more damaging than any demon could ever have done.

Kagome. His Kagome, for he could deny this no longer; she did not want his touch. The woman who craved his nearness for so many weeks, now wanted nothing to do with him.

He knelt before her now, watching her. She was awake, but her eyes were closed. Kaede told him that she could speak and seemed to be on the mend, but he had no proof to know if this was true. She didn't respond to him. Not even when he called her name, or spoke to her about the spot where they buried their child while she slept. Like now, she remained in a state of emptiness, as if her spirit had been drained from this ordeal.

God help him if this was so because he had no idea how to bring her back.

Kaede entered the room, following her routine. Other patients needed work, but she had given Rin an opportunity to take care of the few who had simple wounds or ailments. She'd informed Inuyasha that she intended to purpose all of her attention on her dear friend. The woman vowed to help her through this, feeling guilty for never noticing her pregnancy in the first place. That was another thing which made Inuyasha flinch. He never paid attention to Kagome; not as he should have done. He lusted after her incessantly, yet he failed to notice the apparent growth of her breasts. The white cloth she wore was somewhat loose, revealing the soft and delicate curves. He could see clearly that they had enlarged since that wonderful day in the hot spring.

Inuyasha stood up and gave the women some time alone. He went outside of the room, his back against the wall. He could hear Rin speaking to a patient in a soothing tone. He looked across the hall and found a young boy with matted brown hair and large, misty eyes, looking up at Rin with trembling lips. Inuyasha thought he looked insanely adorable and he grimaced, having never thought of such a thing before. But the kid reminded him of the tiny, fragile body he held in the palm of his hand, days before. After Kaede revealed the small bundle to him, she placed it with careful gentleness into his hand. He could hardly feel the beloved burden, as it felt lighter than a feather. Still, a life he instantly came to love lay motionless there. Kaede placed it into the bowl and cleaned it from the blood it once swam in. He was able to smell Kagome, as well as his own scent.