Chapter 5

Rather than acclimate to his present circumstance, Inuyasha was giving Kagome a really hard time. When he had returned from whatever adventure he sought out earlier, he cooped himself in his room and didn't wish to be bothered. He told Kagome, "I have to think." With a slide of his door, he shut her out of his world and remained alone.

Kagome wanted nothing more than to yell at him out of sheer frustration. He was acting childish and needed to get over his predicament. The only way he would do so was to let Kagome continue to apply salves to his wounds, in an effort to recover his health and memories. At least, she hoped it would work out that way, considering she knew no other alternative.

It was during moments such as these where she wanted—no needed, to go back to her time in the future and seek out professional help. Hospitals would not be formed until the Meiji restoration of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, if her memory served her well. If she was able to gain access to the bone eaters' powers and return to the future, she could perhaps consult a physician and seek out a proper remedy for her husband. Without such help, she was simply left to her own devices.

Which clearly meant she was screwed.

Kagome sighed, the breath emitting a world weary exhale. Since Inuyasha did not desire her company, she chose to spend some time with Lady Kaede. The priestess was applying medicinal herbs to a man who had been wounded by flames. The story Kaede elucidated informed her that the man had been home alone, when a strong wind blew from his window. There was a fire, burning fiercely at his hearth, and its embers caught on to a scrap of wood. Before he knew it, the house had been engulfed by flames, and he had been forced to flee, sustaining multiple injuries.

Though it seemed fairly wrong to think so, Kagome was humbled while she helped Kaede apply various healing creams to him. Her situation was tragic, true, but at least she had her home. More importantly, at least she still had her husband, despite his temporary memory lapse.

After they had conducted all the necessary procedures, the women worked on wrapping his burnt flesh with a thin strap of clothe. The man was thankfully unconscious throughout the ordeal and did not wince once. When they were finished, Kaede brought some incense near and they began to pray over the man, wishing him blessings and health.

During that prayer, Kagome dropped in a vital supplication for her husband and when they finished, they clapped their hands and came to their feet. Kaede thanked Kagome for her work, commenting on how well she was progressing in her field. Kagome smiled, the gesture gentle and somewhat sheepish.

Kaede ambled toward her doorframe and called out to a few civilians to take hold of the man. The village had specific housing for people in pain; humble abodes which served only to provide solace and peace. When they left with the man, Kaede returned to her living room. Kagome held a stick and picked at the fire which sat at the center of her room. The golden embers lifted only to darken a moment after they rose. Kagome sat with her knees bent, head bowed.

Kaede's eyes saddened at her apparent suffering, yet her love for the girl shined through. Kagome had become a younger sister of sorts, allowing herself to be mentored daily by Kaede. The old woman felt nothing but honor to stand by her side, knowing full well that she was a powerful priestess in her own right; far more powerful than Lady Kaede ever could be.

She sat close to the fire, her knees bent before Kagome.

"How do ye fair?" she asked her.

Kagome lifted her head and smiled wistfully. "I'm alright."

"Inuyasha has been alone for some time. Do ye think it wise to leave him be for so long?"

Kagome exhaled and her bangs jumped. "He doesn't want anything to do with me."