Chapter 2

Something was wrong with Kikyou. Though the person before him smelled like Kikyou and even looked like her, Inuyasha wondered instantly if it really was her. The woman frowned when she heard him say her name and then she did something rather odd. Inuyasha had never seen her grow angry, and this woman looked as if she wished to kill him.

"Kikyou?" he said again, though this time unsure.

The woman started to make an odd choking noise, looking more flustered than anything else.

"What did you call me?" she breathed, with the most menacing of voices. It made the nape of his hairs stand on end.

"Uh. Kikyou?"

The woman sputtered uncontrollably, then suddenly managed to compose herself and said all too sweetly, "Haha, Inuyasha. Very funny."

"I don't understand."

The monk suddenly rose from where he sat, and spoke to Inuyasha as if he knew him. "Inuyasha, are you well?"

Inuyasha immediately became defensive and crossed his arms over his chest. "What's it to ya'?"

"You've retained a bump on your head. Do you know who you are?"

"What a stupid question," he snapped. "Of course I know who I am. What I want to know is who the hell are you?"

The monk's brows knitted into a frown and he began to rub his chin, pensively. Inuyasha then chose to ignore him and returned his focus on Kikyou. He grinned at her again and tried to appear as comfortable with himself as he could be. Of course, he was still pretty excited to see her and couldn't help feeling a bit nervous.

He leaned against the door and said, "So how you've been, Kikyou? Feels like its been ages."

Kikyou didn't respond to Inuyasha. Instead, she walked away from him, with a nerve ticking on her left brow. He reached out to her, but instead stood there, trying not to seem too needy. He watched her as she walked into a small hut near the fire pit she had been next to. When she disappeared, he could hear her talking to an old woman and Inuyasha leaned closer to try and gain better access toward the conversation. But Kikyou finally came out of the hut, looking determined and quite intimidating.

Last time he remembered seeing Kikyou, she was with her sister, teaching the young girl some spiritual spells to ward off demons. The girl had been young and not as talented as her sister, as Kikyou was known to many to have prodigious abilities when it came to spiritual warfare. He remembered her looking up at him with a sweet smile, and being happy to see him.

She didn't seem to be so pleased now.

What the hell'd I do? he wondered.

Inuyasha tried to summon up a reason for her demeanor and couldn't come up with a thing. His memory was a little fuzzy and he wondered briefly if it was because of what the monk had said. That bump I've got on my head must be the reason why my memory's so faulty.

She finally stood before him. Her fists and even teeth were clenched, threatening to be cracked by her hardened jaw. "You really want to play this game, Inuyasha?"

He sucked his teeth. "What's wrong with you? I ain't playing no game, Kikyou!"

The nerve came back to her brow and Inuaysha took a step back. Kikyou managed to suddenly enshroud herself with a pink glow; it radiated with an immense spiritual force and made Inuyasha physically tremble.

"Uh. Did I do something wrong?"

Kikyou nodded her head. "You sure did, buddy. Tell me, Inuyasha. What do you remember about yourself?"