Chapter 10

Kagome slept very little that night, but it was not because she was suffering through a bout of insomnia. Nor was it that she had too much on her mind. Simply, it was because Inuyasha had chosen to sleep in the same room with Kagome throughout the whole of the night.

He rested across from her, having been tired off from his ordeal. Despite this, Kagome was somewhat grateful for it. In fact, she was grateful for a number of things, including his curse of the New Moon. Surely, his encumbrance allowed for him to become more docile, unlike his voracious demon counterpart.

The fire lent golden hues across his pale skin, while the sky remained covered in deep gray shadows. He appeared to sleep peacefully, nearly without a sound. His breath came out soft and quiet as the wings of an owl.

She wondered what he dreamt of. If he conjured a past he remembered, or the present he was new to. Were his dreams about love or adventure? Did they involve unimaginable pictures and places he alone could create?

Did they involve her?

A soft breeze fell in through the window and Kagome shivered slightly. She stood up and walked to her drawer where she picked up a pair of soft white pants. When she closed it, after dressing herself, she saw the picture of her family and a wistful smile laced her lips.

Kagome took the picture and laid it next to her. She then turned on her back and looked toward her ceiling. Though she could see the wooden planks, how they clapped with each drop of rain, she chose not to look at them. Instead, she allowed herself to day dream of her own wishes and desires. To see her family once more; how that event would unfold. Surely, something could allow such an occurrence to spring up. She lived in a world of magic and wonder, after all.

What would her mother do when her eyes would first meet Kagome's? Would she cry? Would she laugh? Would she run to her and hold her close?

And what about Sota? Would he be happy to have his sister back, if only for a moment?

And grandfather. Sweet, eccentric grandfather. What would he say? What gifts would he supply?

She imagined each encounter, allowing herself to live, for a moment, in her dreams.

When Inuyasha let out a rather sharp breath, her visions faded away, focusing on him. But he remained asleep, having only made a noise because of whatever marvel he concocted.

She found that she could not return to her musings when she looked at him. He was all she could see. She smiled while thinking that he would tell her she was creeping him out while ogling him the way she was, scrutinizing his very form.

The fire was soon to die away, and with it came blue shadows which blanketed Inuyasha's face. It was an image that seemed too much like a metaphor and she caught herself falling into woe.

But just as easily as it came, she brushed the sadness away.

Her hand touched her midriff.

There was a baby in there and it was growing each and every day. Though she had no lump, soon enough it would expand and the life inside of her would become more apparent. Inuyasha would notice immediately and how would he respond to that?

"Don't think of these things," she whispered to herself in the stillness that came with the night.

She concentrated on her baby, dreaming of what it would look like. It could have her hair, black as the abyss with eyes like its father, gold and piercing. Or it could have hair as winter's first snow, cascading down its back; an avalanche of white and sheen. She wanted the child to have Inuyasha's eyes. Brown eyes plagued nearly every member of Japan, but eyes like its father was sure to excite the world. How could they not?