Mom

POV: Percy (same day as 'I Need a Plan' just in Percy's POV)

I woke up at Grover's house an my body felt like it had been run over by several monster trucks. Several times.

Grover's adoptive mother, Mellie had a heart attack when she saw me in the kitchen. For multiple reasons. I was beaten up and looked like shit. And she also didn't know I stayed the night. Oops.

When she saw me she screamed really loudly. Her husband, his name is Gleeson Hedge, then came running down the stairs with a baseball bat in his hand yelling "STEP AWAY FROM MY WIFE, CUPCAKE!"

So you could say I had an eventful morning. I definitely didn't need coffee after this situation.

Grover was given up for adoption when he was little and was adopted by the Hedge's. Mellie and Gleeson Hedge. They also have a son named Chuck. He's only five.

Grover's parents are always  fine with me staying over. Mellie is an absolute sweetheart. Chuck is adorable. And Gleeson.. well... He's also nice but he can be very intense sometimes, but I'm very grateful for them. They are more family to me than Gabe ever was, or is. 

_______________________________________

If you haven't already caught on my mother is in the hospital. About a year ago she was diagnosed with SCLC . Or small cell lung cancer. It's an aggressive form of lung cancer that occurs most commonly in smokers. My mom had a rough patch when she was younger. They caught it late, stage 4, so things haven't been going so well. She has been in critical condition ever since. I visit her as much as possible. I wish I could sleep in the hospital or at least visit her every day, but I can't. The hospital has visiting hours and there is always Gabe.

I don't want her to see what Gabe does to me. I don't need to cause her more worry.

Gabe has been paying for her medical bills. That's why I still put up with him. I hate that her life is practically in his hands. It's unfair. My mother is the best person. Ever. She took care of me when my father died and she's always put me first. I never understood why she married Gabe. It could have been love. That may have been a small portion of it. Very small, but Gabe also has a lot of money. I know my mom mostly married him, so I could go to school, to doctor's appointments, have everything I needed. Gabe lost a lot of his money because of gambling and his other addictions. That's why we live in a shit hole, but he has enough to pay for my mom.

I can't fight back with Gabe for many reasons, but my mother is the source of all of them. If I punch him in the face. Really mess him up. Maybe he would stop paying for my mother's medical bills. I try to remember that Gabe once did really love my mother. How could he not have? If he didn't love her then why would he marry her? I keep telling myself that Gabe wouldn't do such a thing. Deep down he cares for my mother, but you never know with him.

My mother, like any other parent, would always tell me that violence isn't the answer. That you should be the bigger person. I've lived my entire live by those words. I've always been the bigger person. The biggest person. I giant.

When my mother asks me how I get the bruises on my face I just tell her I got into a fight at school. It's easier than telling the truth, but I hate seeing the disappointment in her eyes.
_______________________________________

Grover drove us to school in his car. We didn't have anything to cover up my bruises with, so we had to brainstorm some good lies. So far we've thought of "I just bumped my head" not gonna lie, it stinks we'll figure something out. Probably.

I hate being early. Why would you want to be early if you could sleep some more? Grover however is a very punctual person. He likes to be on time. Or early. I do like driving a lot better than walking to school, though . Especially with a limp it's a lot easier, so It's worth waking up early. Speaking of my limp. How am I gonna explain that?