CHAPTER 3: LIFE STOPS FOR NO ONE

After 2 weeks they dropped the case because of lack of evidence, simply marking it off as a false report. Life had returned to normal for everyone but you.

It's unfair.

It's unfair for that poor man's death to be swept under the rug.

It's unfair for the murderer to get away so smoothly.

It's unfair that you are labeled crazy simply because of reporting what you saw-

You were snapped out of your thoughts after feeling a nudge to your side. You looked over to your left, seeing your friend Dakota staring at you with an eyebrow raised. "You doing okay? This is the third time you dazed out." They said, concerned.

I nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine. Just not getting a lot of sleep, Ya'know. And Professor Byers is making it hard to stay awake." I lied smoothly, I mean- it wasn't totally a lie. You have been losing sleep.

They chuckled, "I feel you. Professor Byers's class is not for the weak. If you look around, there are also others who look like they are 5 seconds away from passing out." I quietly laughed and peered around. I could spot 3 people nodding off, and 2 who almost fell out of their chairs.

Damn, Professor Byers's morning class is a killer.

I turned my attention back to the board ahead of me, watching Professor Byers write something on it. Professor Byers somehow manages to make her voice loud but also quiet at the same time. Her voice is so monotone that it's almost impossible to pay attention to. I mentally groaned, Professor Byers's class was hell. How does she expect us to get through tests when her teaching is like this! And they always are the hardest tests and with the most vaguest open-ended questions.

I do my best to try to focus on the class, but my mind keeps swaying back over to the murder. I would type half a sentence, blank out, then when I would force myself to focus again, we'd be on a different subject. I looked at my screen, my once organized notes now look like a funky word scramble. I sighed and tried to make it into something coherent. Once I somewhat organized it, I rested my head in my palm, mildly proud of myself. I closed my eyes briefly, to try to remember a thought I just had before-

"Y-"

Huh..? Is a fly buzzing in my ear or something? Eh, whatever. It'll go away. Gotta focus.

"(Y/N-"

Wait.. It sounds like someone's calling my name. Oh God, did Professor Byers figure out that I wasn't paying attention? I'll be-

"(Y/N)!"

My eyes shot open and my body jolted. I twisted my head to look at Dakota who stared at me with confusion and concern on their face. "You doin' okay? I called u like 8 times. Anyways, class is over. Let's head out."

I looked at them bewildered, "What? But, class just started-" I took a glance around the room to prove my point, but the whole classroom was empty. Not even Professor Byers was in the room.

What happened?

I had only closed my eyes for a second! Did I really fall asleep that fast? I stood up, feeling a little dizzy but ignored it. I placed my laptop securely into my backpack, hauling it over my shoulder. After making sure I was fine, Dakota started moving toward the exit with me right behind them.

How odd.

- - -

I dropped my bag lazily onto the floor of my apartment, rolling my shoulders, hoping to ease some of the tension.

I walked into my kitchen and turned on my coffeemaker, adding the coffee grounds and water. I placed one of my favorite (f/c) mugs underneath, before turning around and exiting the kitchen quickly. My shift starts in only 25 minutes, and the drive there is a 15-minute drive.