Chapter 4: ROSE‐COLORED GLASSES

After meeting that cute boy, he quickly became not only a regular but a friend too. He told me his name was Gael, and that he went to a university a little farther away. We often engaged in conversation whenever he'd visit the coffee shop. Gael was a sweet and chill guy, leaning more on the shy side. We often got so deep in conversation that I forget where I am, causing me to receive annoyed looks from customers and nudges from coworkers.

It was about evening time, when business gets slow. Gael had come in and ordered his usual. He sat down in one of the chairs closest to the counter and window, placing his Americano on the table in front of him. We had been conversing for a while now, as I did small tasks such as wiping the counters and equipment and reorganizing the pastries.

"Oh my God, never say that to me ever again," I said, scrunching my face in disgust, "Who in their right mind GENUINELY enjoys pulp in their orange juice."

He gasped dramatically, putting his hand on his chest as if he was offended, " I do! Pulp is great!"

I gagged, turning away from him to scrub the counter."Pulp is so gross! At that point, you aren't even drinking juice, you're eating it! It's practically a soup!"

He'd huff, turning away from me and staring out the window, "I guess we all have our imperfections. You're simply too uncultured to drink it with pulp."

It was my turn to dramatically gasp now, putting my hand on my chest. His lips quirked upwards for a moment, before quickly going back to a flat unbothered face.

"Uncultured?!" I screeched, unable to stop the smile from spreading across my face. "How dare you!". I tried to stop the smile by tensing and compressing my face into a weird almost constipated face.

"Yes, uncultured!" He said, leaning his head on his elbow and turning toward me." You're just- PFFT!" As soon as he got a look at my face, he instantly started laughing loudly.

I immediately broke the face I was trying desperately to keep and started laughing loudly with him.

" Oh- Oh my God! Your face literally looked like that evil kid from toy story!" He said mid-laugh, laughing harder after he said it.

I laughed even harder, hearing him say that. I hunched over, banging my fist on the counter, trying to catch my breath and stop myself from laughing.

I could barely hear the light bell jingle come from the door, signifying someone coming in. I quickly try to compose myself, straightening my back, and ignoring Gael's cackling. I shuffled my way to the register, trying to look composed. As soon as I noticed Clara entering I grinned at her, " Hey, Clara!" I said, waving. She took a look around the shop, the only people in the store being me and Gael and now her. She looked between me and Gael, a slow smirk traveling on her face. "Hey, Y/n... and Gael." She said, walking toward me.

Once she was out of eyeline from Gael, she nudged me and sent me a wink. "I see you, girl. Get that Gaelussy."

My jaw dropped and I stared at Clara utterly bewildered, "WHat?!" I tried to say quietly but it came out a little louder than I would have liked, "It isn't like that! We are just friends!" She giggled at my response, "Mhm, sure.." she said, not believing me as we both walked into the backroom. The lights in the back room were significantly more dim than in the main room, making me have to adjust my eyes for a second before becoming used to it. "I'm serious!" I said, " He's just a friend.". Reaching behind my back, I untied the knot to the apron fastened around my back and neck. "Okay, okay, I believe you." She said, raising her hands defensively. "Hey, could you tie the apron around my waist for me?" Clara asked. I nodded, grabbing the two strings and twisted them into a simple knot.

After I helped Clara, I put the apron that was around me onto the rack that holds everyone's apron. I walked over to the exit and pushed the door open. A stream of bright light flowed through the door as I held it open for both of us. Clara passed me with a small "thanks". I let the door close by itself, as I made my way from the counter and into the seating area. Gael's head perked up when he heard me. "My shifts over, so I'll be going now." I said to Gael. His face fell a little in disappointment, "Oh, well alright." He said before his eyes widened as if he remembered something. "Can I get your number?" He asked, staring into my eyes.