CHAPTER 10: WHAT YOU DONT KNOW CAN HURT YOU

For the last couple of days, you've been religiously checking the cameras situated in your apartment.

Ever since that... incident in the library, you've been more cautious than ever. You've been staying in crowded areas, kept self-defense equipment on you, and tried to use the buddy system constantly (thank you, Gael). But even though you've been so careful, there have been multiple times they've slipped through your fingers. They know that merely their presence sets you on edge, and they've been abusing that power. They don't even have to do anything, merely standing still in your view could send goosebumps down your arms.

They've been silently threatening you, mocking you.

It's terrifying, and it pisses you off.

They know what buttons to push that sends your heart thudding, your hands sweaty and shaky, your body frozen, and your brain scattered as they picked up the pieces just to mess it up over again. They haven't gotten too physical yet, but you fear that they will soon. They've been getting even more confident. Too confident. I thought it was terrible before, but it had gotten worse.

Brisk touches along your skin and when you turn there's nothing there.

Quick and sharp piercing pains that you'd suddenly feel along your side or on your back when walking in a crowd.

The feeling of eyes on you constantly.

You'd been begging, pleading that they'd finally appear on the cameras and you have evidence to go to the police. But they had yet to infiltrate your house for some reason. It confused you. They had been so comfortable barging into your house as if they lived there before, but now they've gotten shy.

Fucking coward.

You snorted, you were one to speak. Every time the masked figure appeared, it was like all confidence was evaporated from your body. You'd freeze and your thoughts would melt into a fearful puddle. It was embarrassing, but you won't stand down and let them continue to bother you. You'd grasp onto that slim courage that'd you would get and lock onto it as if your life depends on it, which it does.

You snapped yourself out of your thoughts, shaking your head lightly. You pushed your door open to your apartment, staring at the dark interior. You hesitantly stepped in. Even though you had been going to your apartment for a little while now, it still left you on edge almost every time. The fact that the murderer could be hiding behind doors or under your bed was haunting. It had become a part of your routine to do a full house check every time you came back to your apartment. 

You had just gotten back from work. It had been a long day at the shop. The register breaking, loud and angry customers, and Gael being a no-show today made your day turn from shitty to shittier. Your head had been aching for almost the entire day, and you wanted nothing more than to just get into bed and never leave. You'd probably pop some aspirin and then snooze for the rest of the year. 

You rubbed your temples as you kicked the door closed behind you. The door closed loudly, and a pang of pain synced with the noise caused by the door making you let out an uncontrolled groan. A sharp pain thumped in your skull that made you want it to reincarnate as a person just so you could beat the shit out of it so it could see how it feels. Flicking on the light to the apartment, you wasted no time darting to your medicine cabinet. 

You gripped the bottle of pills in your hand, shaking one in your palm. You placed it in your mouth, taking a handful of water and tilting your head back so it could smoothly sail down your throat.  You grumbled obscenities at the pain, hoping for the aspirin to kick in soon. Making your way into your bedroom, it felt like you had to drag your body. Exhaustion was flowing through your body and infecting your limbs. You desperately wanted to skip your routine, to simply just go to sleep. But, you knew better than to listen to those thoughts.