~3~

A few weeks after Eleanora became acquitted to living with the Bridgertons prior to the beginning of the social season, Daphne made an offer Eleanora thought she would never hear again: "Would you like to ride horses with me and Anthony? It's a lovely day."

Since marrying Jerome, he despised the concept of women doing anything besides residing at home. Horse riding for women was a ghastly idea to him. As much as Eleanora hated to admit it, the one benefit of Jerome's passing was that she could freely do what she loved most. Even better, she also got to beat Anthony in racing.

~~~

After Daphne's meeting with Lord Berbrooke, she invited Anthony and Eleanora to ride horses in the park.

As Daphne was spilling out her concerns, Anthony reassured, "Lord Berbrooke is harmless."

Eleanora scoffed.

He pretended not to hear her, and continued, "There will be others." As if on cue, a passing man bowed his hat towards the trio.

"Lady Whistledown has all but declared me ineligible. Worthy of the affection of a detestable simpleton and no one else," Daphne stated, "Tell me, what others should ever want such damaged goods now?"

"Think of it this way," Eleanora suggested, in an attempt to reassure her, "Lady Whistledown has declared you the diamond of the first water, and has not redacted that title. Plus, Her Majesty called you 'flawless.' If anything, the suitors this season are just downright brainless and do not know how to act around someone as impeccable as you."

"You speak as if Lady Whistledown were to be held in higher regard than Her Majesty the Queen herself," Anthony chimed in.

"For once Anthony and I agree on something!" Eleanora pointed out. "As much as I love eating up the gossip from those damned pamphlets, it is just that. Gossip. Daphne, you are treating her words as true as gospel when you shouldn't."

"Her words, they are not true," Anthony assured.

"Only, they are true, Brother, and they are true because of you," Daphne snapped, "You have managed to scare every worthy suitor away; Whistldown has merely reported it."

"She is right about that," Eleanora stated.

Anthony turned to her. "Whose side are you on?!"

"I am on no one's side! Recall my vulture analogy?"

"I am looking out for you," Anthony said, turning back to his sister, "I am defending you. It is my duty."

Once again, Eleanora scoffed.

"And what of my duty?" Daphne pointed out, her volume making nearby passerbyers turn their heads. "You have no idea what it is to be a woman. What it might feel like to have one's entire life reduced to a single moment. This is all I have been raised for. This is all I am, I have no other value. If I am unable to find a husband, I shall be worthless."

"Nonetheless, the suitors look at us women as prizes to be won, not as people. And if we are not 'won over' then the ton will associate us with the term 'spinsters,'" Eleanora added, the term hitting a nerve, "Because soon, age starts to affect the ability to find a husband. With . . . bearing children and all that rubbish."

When Eleanora was focused looking straight ahead, Anthony gazed at her, finally realizing that this was how she felt. Her husband hanged himself, and she was now considered far too old to find another husband - a suitable one, at that; only to be known as a widowed spinster.

Anthony turned back to Daphne. "Daphne, you're a Bridgerton."

"It would be easier if I were not," she scoffed. She clicked her tongue, speeding up her horse to dismiss herself from Anthony.