~22~

The next day, Eleanora read the latest Whistledown, practically humiliated that the most recent issue talked of her storming out of the ball and talk of Lord Featherington and his gemstone mines, referring it back to Whistledown's first publish of the season where it mentioned of Jerome Russell.

As the guests packed their things and left Aubrey Hall, the Bridgertons and Eleanora stood on the steps, bidding Lady Danbury and the Sharmas farewell before they got into their carriage.

Though, one Bridgerton was missing: Anthony. He was rummaging around the study to retrieve his mother's betrothal ring. After his encounter with Eleanora in that same room, he felt he knew his intentions and what he must do. He was going to propose to Edwina Sharma.

With the ring box in hand, the viscount just barely caught the Sharmas and Lady Danbury as they were retreating into their carriage. He made long strides, practically jogging, to catch up to the diamond.

"Might I speak with you?" he called out, making all eyes follow him.

Eleanora's heart was skipping a beat, noticing the ring box in his hand.

"Of course," Kate said, nodding her head.

"That was meant for Miss Edwina," Anthony dismissed.

Edwina's eyes widened momentarily, watching the eldest Bridgerton approach her. "My lord?"

Anthony got down to one knee, taking the breath from Eleanora's lungs.

"Miss Edwina Sharma," Anthony said. "Will you marry me?"

Edwina's eyes watered, exchanging a look with her sister. "Yes," she answered, barely in a whisper. "Yes! Yes!" she repeated, this time with joyous laughter. Edwina hastily took off her glove and handed it to Kate, holding out her hand to the viscount. "I shall be your viscountess, I shall marry you!"

Anthony put his mother's betrothal ring on Edwina's finger, and gave her a happy yet tense smile.

Eleanora noticed the duchess of Hastings' eyes on her, and she avoided eye contact with Daphne.

~~~

Eleanora fanned herself in one of Her Majesty's extravagant palace rooms, heavily breathing from the unbearable and melting heat. The door opened, revealing Anthony entering the room. The sight made Eleanora's breath catch in her throat.

"Nora," he acknowledged with a small nod, walking past her and into the room where he was going to meet with Queen Charlotte.

"Anthony," she answered, almost in a whisper.

What happened?

Did Anthony just forget what happened between the two in all those intimate moments they shared between each other? When their cheeks touched and their lips were close to making contact in the Aubrey Hall study?

Nevertheless, if Anthony had moved past that, so must Eleanora. For now, she was going to meet with the queen, along with Anthony and the Sharmas to vouch for the marriage between Edwina and Anthony. No matter how much the thought of doing so made Eleanora's stomach turn.

"Viscount Bridgerton," the queen greeted as Anthony entered the room. "We thought perhaps you'd not be joining us."

"Your Majesty," Anthony greeted with a bow. "Nothing could keep me from my beautiful bride."

Before sitting down with his viscountess-to-be, he took Edwina's hand and placed a kiss to her knuckles.

Eleanora followed suit with Anthony, entering the room and greeting Her Majesty with a deep curtsy, before taking a seat beside Kate.