3

Gotham City, New Jersey

Ashley sighed as she walked into the Batcave behind Dick, uncaring of the sideshow happening in her mind that was trying to drown her in its darkness. Ashley took out her phone to start watching a new show while Dick ran the tests that only was worried about. "You're really not gonna help?" Dick asked her in disbelief as she clicked on a show.

"Your monkey, your circus" Ashley looked up and told him. "I haven't taken up the mantle yet, so I don't even have to think about what may or may not have happened" Ashley shrugged as she reclined in her chair. "So unless your technologically impaired, which after being life partner for ten years, give or take a year I would hope you're not, then you'll be fine. I'm just waiting on Dad to get home" Ashley told him, putting her feet on the desk and holding the phone above her head as she watched the beginning of the show.

"Chemical compound unknown" The computer sounded. Ashley facepalmed and Dick looked back at her in confusion.

"What?" Ashley asked him sarcastically. "Maybe next time you should actually take everything you can get your hands on" Ashley retaliated before he could get a word out.

"I had my hands on you" Dick shrugged. Ashley felt a switch flip in her mind and got mad enough she couldn't help herself.

"Yeah, but then you let go" Ashley said venomously. "Twice" she reminded him in the same seething tone.

"It was for the greater good" Dick argued.

"What greater good Dick?" Ashley asked, throwing her hands up in the air. "Because you went and acted like a dumbass, and instead of just talking to me you ran off like a scared little boy instead of acting like the fiance you were supposed to fucking be" Ashley reminded him. "I don't see how that was greater than making both us and Gar fucking miserable" Ashley told him, getting up to leave before the computer beeped and Ashley stopped moving and looked to watch Dick open the recently updated file. The woman's stomach dropped, having a sinking feeling of what it was, and mentally prepared herself for the hurricane that was sure to come when Dick unsealed the file. He went through the photos in disbelief and Ashley closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose as her father entered the cave.

"Who are these kids?" Dick turned to ask her father who was standing behind her with a hand on her shoulder so he could pull her away to discuss her stay in Gotham in further detail.

"Dick, don't start-" Ashley began, hoping to curb the storm before it could begin.

"I wasn't asking you Ashley" Dick said stoically.

"No but you're asking my father and he's mine by blood, proxy, and association" Ashley said, grabbing a hold of the chair and was about to roll him out of the Batcave like a child.

"Ashley" Her father gestured for her to come and stand by her side, which she complied with quickly.

"Who are they?" Dick asked, looking like he didn't want to know the answer. Ashley sighed, knowing another fight was going to break out.

"Potential recruits" Bruce said, fidgeting with his hands.

"Oh dear God, you couldn't have lied" Ashley hissed to her father.

"What?" Bruce asked her like the thought hadn't crossed his mind.

"How could even think this is a good idea?" Dick asked Bruce as he pointed to the computer screen. "You wanna do them what you did to me?" Dick asked as he pointed to himself. "Are you going to brainwash them to the extent you have Ashley?" Dick asked as he pointed to Ashley.

"After everything you've done, you can keep my fucking name out of your mouth Dick" Ashley growled. "Or are you conveniently forgetting all that shit too?" She asked him, venom in her words. Dick narrowed his eyes at her but refocused his attention on her father.