5

Gotham City, New Jersey

The ringing in her ears was violent, and the tears streaming down her face as Dick stared down at her, his face holding nothing but shock and disappointment. She couldn't stop the tears as reached up to his face, patting it gently to try to bring him out of his shock as she looked around for Kory, Dawn, and Hank. Dick gripped her hand worriedly and released her hand in a moment to cover the ringing in his own ears. Ashley swore she was saying his codename, but everything felt simultaneously underwater and like time was passing slower as she blinked. Ashley coughed the debris up that had invaded her mouth and stood up, looking at the damage around her. Ashley wanted to scream and cry, but Ashley felt herself becoming increasingly prone to wanting rage. Dick stood up behind her as Ashley moved forward to start checking on people. She looked up at him and shook her head. Ashley didn't know what to do, but her sole thought was that this was the worst beginning of the rest of her life. She sighed and walked over to help up Hank as he looked up, the grumpy old man that he was bringing a relieved smile to her face. She would have words with Dick when she got home, but for now, she had more important things to attend to. She had her family to attend to. 

♠♠♠

Ashley walked into the kitchen raising her brow at Hank as she entered. "I thought you'd be in bed old man" Ashley teased him. 

"Bed?" Hank scoffed. "After tonight? Nah thanks, I'll just stand here and eat whatever this is" Hank shrugged. Ashley raised a brow and walked to take a peek at what he was eating and let out a giggle when she saw it was Krypto's dog food. "What? It's gotta be some kind of stew" Hank argued as Ashley laughed. 

"Hank" Ashley said, receiving a sharp glare in return. "Never change" Ashley laughed and patted his overly large bicep with a shaky hand. Hank put the bowl down, making Ashley snicker again as she saw it. 

"What's wrong?" Hank asked her after he noticed her shakiness. 

"Ash" Hank said raising a brow. "I've seen you through thick and thin and you've never shook" Hank said. "Not like this."

"I'm-" Ashley said, looking around the room for an escape. "You all came to close today, I can't let it happen again. I won't let it happen again" Ashley said, her chest constricted as the possibility weighed down on her. "You're supposed to get the girl, live a happy life with five kids, and feeding geese at a pond while laughing as your kid gets its finger bit" Ashley laughed, shaking her head half-heartedly as she stared blankly. 

"And what about you?" Hank asked her. "There's more to you than this place" Hank said to her. 

"There's not" Ashley said, sounding almost said. "I am a Wayne, we have a duty. And besides that, my kids are dead Hank" Ashley sighed and shook her head sadly. "My duty is out there, it's only because the selfish part of me loves having everyone near me that I haven't sent you packing to somewhere safer" Ashley rolled her eyes. "I should send you all somewhere safer" Ashley deflated in front of him as she weighed the possibilities. 

"I'm too stubborn to leave anyways" Hank laughed and Ashley laughed lightly before a disturbing look took over her features. 

"That's what I thought about Donna too" Ashley said. "Now look at her" Ashley said, shaking her head with a sigh. 

"Hey, we're not all gonna end up like Donna did" Hank promised her. 

"Anyways, how about we talk about your bike shorts" Ashley cackled as she attempted to change the subject, looking up at him with a wide grin. 

"Pursuit and attack shorts, you bitch" Hank said seriously, pointing at her. 

"Tell me, were they constricting?" Ashley smiled. "I mean, we all know you don't problems if you have to tuck 'cause there isn't much there" Ashley teased and he narrowed his eyes at her.