Canto I - Rome's Finest

The curse cowered in the dark corner, it looked once over the abandoned nave that used to be filled with dozens of curses like itself. Never, in the long time that it infested the remains of a deconsecrated church in the middle of nowhere, never it had thought an exorcist would come to transform what had been the perfect hunting spot for many decades into a scene for a massacre.

One by one it had watched the exorcist slaughter its peers, first the bigger ones who had brought themselves forward to protect the rest of the pack. A mere punch was what ended them.

Then it was the turn of the little ones, the human manifested a bright globe that slowly floated upwards, once it reached the damaged ceiling it started convulsing, the odd spectacle caught the curses' attention. Panic ensued among the spirits when the convulsions got more violent with time, many tried to run away through windows and doors, a few paces out in the open and their bodies were soon enveloped in white flames. Those who were foolish enough to attack the aggressor met the same fate.

Then the globe exploded, and a cloud of luminescent feathers descended upon their heads. All Hell broke loose...

The curse could still hear the blood-curdling screeches of burning souls while it took cover under a bench to avoid the feathers. The exorcist strolled down the nave, finishing off every spirit his eyes laid upon until the loud cries turned into quiet whimpering, and into dead silence after that.

Now its back was against the cold wall, fear was something a curse should only instill in its victims, however, the legs felt so heavy the moment the exorcist knelt before it. Veins as red as the blood smeared on his left cheek slowly retreated around the pupils, now his turquoise eyes showed nothing but indifference as he laid his gloved hand on the curse's head.

Splat...

Blood dripping off his fingers, the exorcist could finally draw a breath of relief, the place was finally secured, and the restorers would be finally happy to do their work on the church.

He sat on the uneven floor, taking off the bloody gloves only to find the scarlet liquid had passed through the cloth and drenched his hands, too. The exorcist rolled his eyes in annoyance as he attempted to scrape off the dried bit with his fingernail. Suddenly the phone in his pocket started vibrating, he reached for it but the wet substance made the device slip from his grasp a couple of times. The display flashed the name of his master.

Wondering what his mentor had to communicate so late into the night, the exorcist used the pinky knuckle to open the call.

_______________

"Rome sent a telegram early this morning."

Satoru Gojou is a carefree person, with a very childlike behavior which he has no problem fully displaying, even in face of utter danger and absolute evil. A few times he forced himself to truly change his ways to approach problems, and a few events have required him to put aside his childish mannerisms for a more serious attitude. He knew the King of Curses' revival would have kicked up a fuss in the sorcerers' world in the long run, but this soon? That's unusual.

"News sure spreads fast, uh?" He hung his head over the backrest of the couch, his arms left dangling behind him as he stared off the ceiling. Sitting across from Gojou, Gakuganji leaned into his wooden cane deep in his thoughts; fortunately, Sukuna's vessel was good as dead, surely the Church just wanted to reassure themselves that everything was in order.

"One of the Seraphim had already boarded a plane at the time they wrote this..." said the older man, "he should land by noon at the Haneda airport."

"Do you want me to get him?" Gojou asked, keeping his eyes locked up above him for no apparent reason. The elder shook his head as he helped himself up to his feet with his cane.