Canto IX - Yet they Follow

Fast the young man sped amidst the wooden labyrinth, haste made him brush his shoulders multiple times against the rough barks of the trees as he kept his eyes on the tiny light guiding him through the forest like the yarn for the Greek hero Theseus. Gabriele opted to approach the new threat by foot, not wanting to waste any more precious essence maintaining the wings up, his breaths were laborious, and his overall tiredness and his sore muscles demanded a rest of sorts. He soon laid his back against the hardwood, sliding down to the ground as he let all the fatigue take over his entire body.

A quick check of his body unveiled the poor state his frame was in, to not talk about the conditions of the now tattered uniform, from the left sleeve reduced to shreds to the dry stains of dirt and blood which tinted the cloth. His gaze, though, was fixed on the dome of black mist standing above the horizon. Despite putting plenty of distance from the horrors occurring within it, Gabriele couldn't really take it off his worries regarding those he left there, lingering on the back of his mind in an odd sense of guilt.

You're hurt

The voice of the entity filled in the quietude of the moment, he chuckled a bit in his own way for how obvious that statement was, after everything that happened just this day.

You don't have to go, they'll understand

'Full commitment...' he replied, 'that's what he implied essentially, remember? We're not ought to give up just yet.' Slowly he tried to push himself onto his feet, his knees would buckle a bit as he got up but still he managed to stand, although leaning heavily on the tree. The exorcist proceeded to walk a few steps on the uneven ground till his foot hit a rock, and there his face met the dirt again.

He also explicitly said it's not worth it

The entity pleaded with the young man to reconsider, but he was determined to move forward, first by crawling, then by foot once he had the force to get up again. His eyes again fell upon the ignited finger pointing eastward, taking a hard right according to the little light. He ventured deep into the woodlands until he appeared back on the main path to the school, the small flame pointed right at the facility. The man watched the largeness of the plex, even though with his permanence he had a good mental map of the majority of the place, it was still way too big. And to make matters worse, the little light eventually died out, lacking the fuel to keep it alive.

Gabriele lifted his gaze to the sky and sighed the frustration out of his lungs, couldn't have better timing, for real.

Swiftly he went inside, bashing door after door despite knowing what was expected behind was yet another empty classroom. Anger and panic soon came by after the umpteenth clear room, one of the only three decks inside was the unfortunate victim of the lash-out. 'Fuck, fuck, fuck!' He knocked the furniture way back against the wall opposite the blackboard with a push of his leg, the impact with the concrete made some papers fly to the floor. He felt lost as if a blindfold was placed upon his eyes and forced to wander inside a dark maze, in other words, he lost sight of the objective. Hands on his hair as he exhaled his anger out through his nostrils, Gabriele was out of energy and patience, all his tiredness coming back to haunt his muscle once more.

brother...

His eyes suddenly lit up the moment the voice called for him, turquoise irides crossing with one of his own like in a mirror. The entity materialized before him, careless of the possibility of getting caught by one of the sorcerers that inhabited the school building. Gabriele, shocked by the sight, jolted forward and grabbed both wrists of the boney spirit.

'What are you doing?!' he would have screamed at them, desperation molded his expression into one of terror. 'If they find out about you, you're going to get exorcized.' he pleaded the entity to hide back to safety, far from the sorcerers' perception.