Canto XX - The Disillusioned

The Shibuya Stream, the newest addition to the Tokyo Skyline, was an architectural marvel like many that dominated the panorama of Japan's capital. Located in the space left vacant by the relocation of the Tōyoko Line terminal, the building was constructed in the arc of three years between 2015 and 2018 and officially opened on the 13th of September of this year. The skyscraper and retail complex stood at 180 meters, making it one of the tallest edifices in Tokyo, counting 35 floors, and currently contained the head office of a multinational mega-corporation (still work in progress), thirty-ish stores, the Excel Tokyu Shibuya Stream hotel, and many other attractions. But what met the eyes of Gabriele wasn't any of the contemporary aesthetics of the interior, but the amount of transfigured humans swarming in the shop/restaurant area of the facility. A curse den through and through, Romulus described it, floors upon floors for an infestation of proportion like the young exorcist had never seen. Swords were drawn, but the Empyreans were always passive, never attacking to fend off the monsters for anyone but themselves while the younger exorcist was like a hurricane in close quarters, darting left and right killing as many walking corpses he could with whatever he got a hold on. 

By the time they reached the hotel lobby on the fourth floor, Gabriele's hands were bruised to the point of bleeding, the liquid dripping down on the wooden handle of the already bloodstained fire axe. He himself did not sustain any injuries, but he could feel his muscles aching from the massive endeavor. Fortunately the higher they went, the less transfigured humans they found, so he chose to sit a moment on one of the elegant couches in the lounge.

He brought his weapon on his lap to inspect it, passing a hand along the handle, rough to the touch until he reached near the head of the axe where he noted a discrepancy running across the width of the wood, moving it a bit he attested that it wasn't anymore sturdy, slightly dangling side to side. The teen grimaced, the weapon would definitely snap after a couple of well-placed blows, should it happen in battle it could be fatal for him.  

The exorcist sighed, not wanting to discard the only good tool he had found since stepping inside the curtain, but the risks now outweighed the benefits. So he stood up,  grasped the hatchet by its lower extremity, and raised it above his head. Hearing noises coming from his left, his eyesight soon tracked the source with expertise, a humanoid monster galloping full speed toward him. He spun in the creature's direction, with a foot planted on the floor Gabriele tossed the axe at it, the edge burying deep in its clavicle. The mutant tanked the hit, not much to the exorcist's surprise, although its speed suffered significantly, it kept going in its pursuit of blood.

'I knew it, it must have lost some of its integrity the moment I threw it... due to the failing structure, the impact was highly mitigated when otherwise it'd have cut through easily.' Gabriele then paced in the monster's direction, ready to put this unfortunate soul to rest. Suddenly, the transfigured human stopped on its path, Gabriele looked at it as its limbs were by one contorted, joints collapsing in unnatural movement and bending backward with a final, loud snap of its spinal cord. The corpse fell lifeless, folded with its back against its legs, the monster wasn't even given the time to externalize the atrocious pain for how quick it was. The exorcist averted his gaze to look behind his shoulder, the responsible for the execution standing not too far from him, arm raised towards the mutant.

"Tsk, brat..." Remus lowered their hand and turned away peevishly, Gabriele refrained from commenting and limited himself to just glare at them. 

"Seraph..." Romulus approached him. They, as well as their comrade, had their uniform tinted in blood. " Have you found out how to reach the roof of this building?"

"We're currently on the hotel section of the skyscraper, which comprises all the floors between the fourth and the thirteenth. From the fourteenth onward it's all empty space." He then pointed to the elevator at the end of the hall near the reception, "The elevators seem to be operative, but they only reach up to 13F. Don't know if there's an elevator that'd bring us to the roof but it's most likely that'd be the case."