Canto XVII- The Curtain Call

What a mess, that was the first thought that crossed Gojou's mind once he looked down on the sea of people crowding the Hikarie shinQ's B1F. No matter where he looked, there wasn't a spot on the floor that wasn't occupied by a person, the air was getting quite heavy despite the ventilation system working at full capacity. Gojou could see the turmoil in their gazes as they turned left and right, trying to understand what was going on around them. The situation was worse than we imagined, at first glance he guessed there'd be something between five and seven hundred people, all dressed for the occasion. Vampires, zombies, witches, and monsters of all kinds were present during Halloween night, perhaps too many, which would make moving around quite difficult. Eventually, he decided to simply walk above their heads, the soles of his shoes a few inches away from touching the flabbergasted civilians.

The thing he couldn't understand was why they were all trapped underground while outside was completely desert. Makes him wonder if they were somewhat forced inside by something and unable to leave just like aboveground.

As he slowly descended to the platform of the Fukutoshin line through a pit between floors, Gojou sensed that the curtain originated somewhere in the middle of the railway. Once his feet touched solid ground, he was surrounded by civilians standing on the sides of the rails behind the barriers, holding the mass like dams. At this exact moment, he came to realize what the three individuals in front of him were after. "There you are." One of them greeted him, and Gojou immediately recognized him as the special grade curse who attacked him back in August. Together with the volcano head, there was also the same cursed spirit present at the exchange event and what appeared to be a human curse user. That was fine in his book, the more the merrier.

"Look at ya, all ready to go." He chuckled, "No excuses if you lose again this time, okay?"

"Don't worry about us... just be sure to have your first-ever excuse ready!" Jogou responded. Above the shaman's head, roots sprouted out of the concrete blocking the pit he himself hovered down from, and so was the staircase that led to the upper floors.

"Don't bother," Gojou sighed, "I'm not going anywhere. If I run away, you're just gonna kill everyone here, right?"

"If you run away? We're going to do that..." The corners of the mouth of the ancient curse went up in a vile smile, its only eye lit in malicious content. Suddenly the barriers opened, and soon a wave of bystanders came crashing down on the railway in dozens, pushed by the mass in the space between Gojou and the curses. For the sorcerer, he watched the worst-case scenario unfolding before his eyes.

"Even if you don't!"

______

A lone flame was waved in the silent dark road, a source of light so different from the dim, artificial ones shining down on the asphalt and its wielder. Gabriele's lethargic gaze was trained on the fire, trying to catch any direction its crest may point but so it sat motionless, not a second it hinted of changing direction. It was nothing new, he had checked four times already with little to no result, he knew there wasn't anything outside of the curtain to justify his paranoia. Still, he shone the light through the windows of the empty shops. It amazed him how everything, despite the situation, was in its place as if frozen in time. It made him wonder if the owners had fled the scene as the curtain was cast or, perhaps out of curiosity, they crossed it only to get stuck within. Slowly the flame died out in his hand, Gabriele shifted his attention to his palm, encased in the white velvet glove of his exorcist uniform. He was back in his old attire, the Empyreans had it shipped directly from the Vatican while they destroyed the student uniform right before his eyes. It shouldn't matter, it was a piece of clothing like any other he wore throughout his life but watching them tear it apart was painful, a pang in his heart that held its deathly grasp on the organ to the point he thought it was about to explode. This uniform felt uncomfortable in comparison.