prologue

Fire. Blood. Gunpowder.

Everything was chaos. All of this from just a misunderstanding. Smoke passed through my lungs, leaving a burning sensation in my nose and throat. I walked to the center of the ship as shots were fired. It wasn't supposed to be like this.

"But what choice do we have?"

"Nothing."

The word left a bitter taste in my mouth. We should always have a choice. A choice to laugh. A choice to love. A choice to live.

"Do it."

Another gunshot. The last one.

"Smile for me. Let me see it one… last… time."

"You're such a fool!"

With a hurtful scream, lightning struck the ship. Thunder roared as lightning bolts continued to strike everywhere around me.

The stench of death was strong after the sky's rage. I saw hues of reds and oranges. It was supposed to be hot, but I welcomed the feeling as it engulfed me. How safe it was to be embraced in such warmth.

"No."

I tried to smile, but I only tasted saltiness when I smiled as wide as I can. Then, realization hit me. They will never come back. I have bloodied my hands with the blood of my comrades.

"Everyone's dead. There will be no more bloodshed in this fleet, Admiral."

We should always have a choice to laugh, to love, and to live. Maybe mine will always just be options that I won't be able to choose from.