Chapter 4: Professor Alester Wears a Wig?

(A/N: I switched over from the Past tense to the Present. Kinda trying to experiment)

RIVER

All around us, the people start to get up and talk to other people. I look at Rhea.

"No," she says.

"Okay," I agree.

We just sit there for a while and watch the people around us. I can't spot any main characters here apart from Wilhelm and Beatrice, which is understandable because most of the important characters are in other classes. Or, in other places. Both are applicable.

I still remember first downloading the Six Elemental Stones game when it had newly come out. A few days later, it became super famous. A few months later, I recommended it to Rhea, who started playing it. And guess what? She finished the part of the game that took me a month to finish in a day. And then she binge-played the entire thing in a week.

I was more of a casual player so I took my time and explored. And by that, I mean that I put off doing the story. You can't blame me, the graphics and design were awesome.

A story that followed a young prince rejected from the throne because of a stupid reason, finding out that the stupid reason is threatening the entire world, wiping out said stupid reason, and then refusing to go back on the throne. It was epic.

Correction, it is epic. The MC, Wilhelm Basilton, was extremely OP. Everyone loves OP Protagonists. I used to enjoy the moments when someone underestimated him and then he defeated them and said someone went 'What the fuck-'

It's just satisfying.

"Hey, River," Rhea calls and I snap out of my thoughts.

"Yeah?"

"This is weird, isn't it?"

"It is."

Rhea looks around to see if anyone's listening then signals me to lean closer. I do.

"We're not going to die, right?" she asks in a whisper. I know why she's asking me that.

"It's okay. We're not going to bully Wilhelm or betray him to the demons, right? That's the only death flag we have."

"I know, but what if we are forced to act according to the plot anyway?"

"...Is that even possible?"

"I don't know? Maybe Plot Convenience will cause it? Or maybe not? That's what I'm asking."

"Aren't you supposed to be more knowledgeable in this than me? Don't you like reading...what was it? Isekai?"

Rhea sighs. I sigh. We finger gun each other.

"There are many types of isekai stories. Plot Convenience works in some, plot convenience doesn't work in some. That's why I'm curious."

"Well...I don't know. How am I supposed to know? This is my first time getting isekaied."

Rhea groans and puts her head on the table, "I know I wrote in my Fans Write Stories About Page that I wanted to experience true love the old-fashioned way by getting transmigrated into my favorite novel but I wasn't expecting it to actually happen."

"Be careful what you wish for, I guess," I tell her.

"Well, you're also stuck here with me," she points out.

"...Really, be careful what you wish for, and don't drag other people into your wish."

"But I thought that if we go down, we go down together!" she said, giving me the puppy eyes.