Chapter 6: So I Ask For A Swimsuit

RIVER

I want to just flop on my bed and fall asleep already. Man, I'm glad no one assigned any homework today because I have no energy o do it.

Rhea looks tired too.

For it being only the first day, the teacher put us through some insane "Stamina Training". Stamina Training, my ass. That man was just testing our limits.

The carriage jerks and the driver steps out of the driving seat and opens the door for us.

"Thank you," Rhea and I say in sync.

When we reach the mansion, there is a long line of maids waiting for us.

"Welcome home, Young Master and Young Mistress," An elderly maid says.

"Hello, Estelle..." Rhea says, trailing off when she starts to yawn. She covers her mouth with her hand. I look at her and then have to push down my very powerful urge to yawn too.

The maid Rhea calls Estelle comes forward and bows, asking us if there's anything she can do to help us. I am about to shake my head when I remember that I don't know the way to my room.

"Can you please lead me to my room?" I ask.

"Me too," Rhea agrees.

It's probably an odd request but the maids can't do anything but follow it. And they can't question it. Well, not to our faces, anyway.

I am determined to remember the way to my room. Estelle takes us through several corridors and we reach my room, which is on the second floor. Rhea's room is on the corridor right next to it.

I enter my room and want to immediately fall on the bed but I'm sweating a lot and I don't like sweat. I go to the bathroom and take a bath. There are no showers here, but I should have expected that given this is a historic sort of setting. The soap smells nice, though.

I come out of the bathroom in a very comfortable bathrobe. Damn, rich people have it good...

The closet has a lot of modern-looking comfortable clothes, which I didn't expect. So much for being set in a historic setting.

I grab a pair of shorts and a blue t-shirt. Then something in the back of the closet catches my attention. For a moment I think it's someone's head and am scared to look, but then I remember that the only monster in the closet is me, so I squat down (despite my aching legs) and bring out a...box? It's definitely a box...

And it's locked. There's no key attached to the box. I want to hunt around for the key in the closet but I should really change out of this bathrobe first, comfortable as it is.

After dressing I open the closet once more and begin searching for the key. Why? One, curiosity. Two, I don't want to fall asleep yet because I know I won't be able to sleep for a long time at night if I do.

The search continues. I don't find a key, but I do find a singular sock (pain).

A key...where have I seen a key before...? No, wait that question doesn't make sense. I've seen lots of keys before. Hm...a key...what place could be hiding a key here...?

I search the whole room, I overturn the bed (and then remake it because it became too messy), I make a mess of the table, I look under the table and the bed, I rummage through the closet (looking for a hidden compartment) but I find nothing. Then an idea clicks in my head.

It could be the classic 'loose floorboard' hiding place.

I go around the room tapping on random floorboards till one eventually sounds hollow and I try to lift it. I manage to lift it. There is a key. I'm a fucking genius.