Chapter 11: Yes, There Was a Time-Skip

RHEA

It's been almost a month since the new seating arrangements were announced and I have to admit, it was a pretty good strategy. People don't talk all that much in class anymore.

And guess what? I HAVE NEW FRIENDS!!! 1! 1!

There's the girl who sits right next to me, roll no. 16. Her name is Jade Amethyst. She's very nice. I share notes with her during lessons sometimes. And by sharing notes, I mean we pass little notes with little comments to each other. They go something like-

Me: The "Dark Forest"? People have no naming sense.

Jade: Right? And what's up with "Pigenders"?

Both the Dark Forest and Pigenders were actual locations, by the way. Really, I'm not kidding.

I should also mention that we went to the music room. Now we're regular members of the orchestra, which both Jane and Lilac are a part of. They thanked us for saving them, and it went like so-

"Thank you so so much for saving me the other day!" Jane exclaimed, doing a Japanese anime-style 90-degree bow.

"Oh, it's no big deal, don't worry," River answered.

"If you ever need anything, I'll be sure to help!" She continued.

"Um..."

"I'll pledge my loyalty to you!"

"You...really don't need to go that far," I interrupted

"To repay my debt-! Wait, I don't?" Jane looked kinda confused

"No. I mean, it's not that big of a deal, really."

"...You're serious? I don't need to pay you back with my life for such a huge favor?"

"...What sort of life have you been living?" River asked the villain with the most tragic backstory.

"That aside, we actually came here to audition for the orchestra..." I changed the topic.

And then River and I threw all caution to the winds and dazzled everyone in the orchestra with our fantastic violin/piano duet, which, to them, was probably an original piece but to us, it was what it was- Claire de Lune.

The moment I held the violin in my hand felt like the moment I grew back a cut-off hand. And, thankfully, all my years of practicing paid off and constituted me having a muscle memory good enough to remember the most recent piece I learned to play- Clair de Lune by Debussy.

I am in love with that piece, just saying.

Anyway, River seemed to have maintained his skill too because he pretty much fascinated everyone when he played it. He also played Claire de Lune, by the way. We're both just kind of obsessed over it at the moment, so let it pass.

Also, we asked Dominic to buy us a violin and a piano, and he gave out that order to his butler without batting an eye. David looked a little suspicious but later decided that two musical instruments can't possibly hurt anybody (boy he has not seen a drunk guitarist who just had a breakup).

Which shifts the topic to family, and I'd say we were doing pretty good! David, River, and I are now on talking terms, and we can actually hold a convo for fifteen minutes without sinking into awkward silence. That's progress! He's a lot like Rishi, really, what with the same "I don't really care but if it makes you feel better, tell me how your day went" sort of attitude and everything.

It makes me miss my old family a lot. Like, a lot. But...I've read enough stories to know that no one gets to go home in these stories, soooooo I don't have any hopes of being able to go back. Might as well mend the familial relations here and live a fulfilling life.