IX. NORBERT AND THE STONE

NORBERT AND THE STONE!

MAY/JUNE 1992

1st Year

• • • •

Holland smiled as Hagrid poured both her and Margaret another cup of tea.

Holland glanced over at the cauldron above the fire, "Not too much longer now, Hagrid."

"And then I'll be a Mummy." The half-giant smiled, feeling chuffed.

"That you will be." Margaret chuckled, stroking Fang's head, as there was a rapid knock on the door.

The three looked over worriedly at each other as Hagrid stood up and opened the door, seeing Harry, Ron and Hermione.

"Hagrid!" Harry exclaimed.

"Oh, hello. Sorry, don't wish to be rude, but I'm in no fit state to entertain today." Hagrid rushed out, moving to close the door.

"We know about the Philosopher's Stone!" The three friends exclaimed, making the door reopen and Margaret and Holland's heads popped into view of the first years.

"What have you three been up to?" Holland asked with a stern look.

"Oh." The gamekeeper muttered, letting the first years into the small hut.

"We think Snape's trying to steal it." The dark-haired boy said.

"Snape trying to steal the- oh my." Margaret sighed, sitting back down at the table, head in her hands.

"Snape? Blimey, Harry, you're not still on about him, are you?" Hagrid exclaimed.

"Still on about him?" Holland repeated, arms crossed as she looked down at the three, "What have you all been doing?"

"Hagrid, we know he's after the Stone," Harry turned to the man, ignoring his professor, "We just don't know why."

"Snape is one of the teachers protecting the Stone!" Hagrid shook his head, "He's not about to steal it!"

"What?" Harry gasped.

"You heard. Right. Come on, now, we're a bit preoccupied today." Hagrid sighed.

"Wait a minute," Harry said, as the three followed Hagrid further into the hut, "One of the teachers?" The Potter boy questioned.

"Hagrid, stop talking." Margaret hissed through gritted teeth.

"Of course!" Hermione exclaimed, as she sat down in the large armchair, "There are other things defending the Stone, aren't there? Spells, enchantments," She listed.

"That's right," Hagrid nodded, "Waste of bloody time, if you ask me. Ain't no one gonna get past Fluffy."

"Hagrid." Holland muttered.