4

This chapter could be triggering as it involves police sucking at life.

Mom was in the kitchen doing the dishes while I worked on cleaning up the table and living room. Dinner had been quiet. I hadn't felt much like talking the last couple days. But the shift of not having Andrea around was starting to hurt a little less. Girlfriend or not, she was still my friend and not having her around stung.

"Kade, would you take out the trash?" Mom asked from the kitchen.

"Yeah." I said back, leisurely walking to the trash can and gathering the black bag. I take it into my hands and walk out the front door. Distant shouts and sirens of the city could be heard. For some reason they echoed over the streets even if they were blocks down the road.

The apartment's regular kook was back shouting that the world was going to end. That lady never hurt anyone, so we let it slide. But it was annoying nonetheless. Over in another corner a group of guys in wife-beaters were all huddled together smoking and whispering. Their hands exchanging things I couldn't see.

It was always a sharp reminder, when I went outside at night, how much I needed to make it to the pros. To give my mom a safe place to live. A good car that doesn't break down once a month. I knew she never expected anything from me in that way, she wasn't doing this, raising me, working all those jobs, racing to my games every week, for her personal benefit. She does it because she's my moms and she loves me. Still, I felt obligated to give her a better life. We wouldn't be here if my father hadn't walked out on us like the coward he is.

The clanking of the trash hitting the bottom of the dumpster pairs with a loud siren. Suddenly there were red and blue flashing in my eyes as car tired screeched against the pavement.

"Put your hands up, now!"

My stomach drops as they point guns at me. "For what? I didn't do anything!" I say as I do exactly what they ask.

"Turn around!"

"Why?! I was just-" I tried but was cut off by another cop yelling, "keep your hands up and turn around!"

I turned, my legs shaky and weak beneath me. Rough hands gathered mine as I felt cold metal wrapping around my wrists.

Now turn back to us and sit on the curb. Cross your legs." One of them said sternly.

I sat down immediately, crossing my legs just as they had asked. My heart was pounding in my chest so hard I could hear it. Tears stung in my eyes but I pushed them back.

"Cross then tighter!"

I jumped but did as they asked. My arms still cuffed behind me, I was completely helpless.

"What's your name?" The first one asked as they both put away their weapons.

"Kaiden."

"Not that. Your gang name, asshole."

"I'm not in a gang!" I plead.

One of the cops knealt down in front of me, only inches from my face. "I've seen you in the precinct before."

"Man, no you haven't-"

"I have!"

I flinch at the raised voice, looking down at my feet. But the cop that was kneeling grabbed the back of my hair and brought my head up.

"Maybe a ride around the block will jog your memory." He threatens.

I don't get a chance to respond when I hear my mothers voice. I look behind me to see her running towards me, with onlookers all watching the scene.

"Hey! You leave my son alone, he didn't do anything!"

The second cop went to her, putting his hands up to stop her. "Ma'am stay back." He ordered.

"Don't touch me!" She shouted almost hysterically. And the cop backed off but only a couple of steps. "He was just taking out the trash. His name is Kaiden King, he is eighteen years old, he is a high school honor graduate and a national basketball champion." She stomped her foot and pointed, "And I swear to god if you don't take those cuffs off my son!"

The cop holding her back looked to his partner a moment then back at me. He walked over and took his partner to the side.

"Look, I think I know this kid." He muttered. "Kaiden King, they call him Young King. Has videos all over the internet. He's that prodigy NBA player I was showing you."

The other cop rolled his eyes. "Shit. Take the cuffs off him."

I sighed in relief and the metal binds left my wrists. The cops helped me up and patted my back, asking me if I was alright. I didn't answer. I think my voice would've broken if I did. And the tears would've fallen. I couldn't let them see me like that. They couldn't know that they'd broken me. So I did the only thing I could. I walked back to my mother, to held me tight and guided me back home. The cops shouted something at us and mom shouted back. I didn't really hear what they were saying.

My feet carried me to my apartment. Mom hugged me and kissed me. I said I was okay and went to my room. Only when the door was shut did I allow myself to cry. I crawled into my pillow, covering my body with the safe blankets until they covered every inch of me and cried.