12

Meki's POV

My body jolted forward just as the scream escaped my lips. My eyes wide open as sweat trickled down my cold skin. The bedroom door swung open, Mila and Nick rushing to my side. Mila hugging me from behind while my brother sat in front of me, asking me all kinds of questions.

"Mek, talk to us. What's wrong?" Mila said as she ran soothing circles along my back, coaxing my lungs to breathe slower.

I shake my head, still unable to catch my breath. My muscles trembling beneath my brother's touch as he holds my hands, instructing me to breath in and out. In and out. In and out.

"Good. Just like that." He says softly, his thumbs holding the inside of my wrist as he counts my pulse. "Whatever it is, we're here."

A choked sob bursts in my chest as I fall back on my sister who catches me easily. Her small arms wrapped around me. She was almost half the size of me, yet it felt like she could hold the entirety of my weight.

"Everything's okay. You're safe. You're home. You're with your family. Let us help you. Please Mek, talk to us." Mila says with an easiness to her voice. She hasn't called me Mek in years. Since we were kids.

I nod, trying to gain the strength to speak but every time I open my mouth another cry comes from it. An Alpha could only be strong for so long. In front of people I have off the eminence of power, stability, and strength. But Alpha's feel pain, anxiety, and terror, just like everyone else. And it lives within me every second of every day. One of the Alpha's in Serbia once told me that as Alpha's feel more than a regular wolf, our emotions heightened to our entire pack, and it was why we had such strong mates. Because no wolf could ever bare this alone. They needed that other half to help them. But I didn't have mine. Not yet.

I look up to my brother, and lean into my sister's touch. They were here. Kaiden might not be, but they were. Even after all I've done.

"I-" I choked. "I still dream about that night." I barely say, my voice strained with the memories, the pure agony I felt from them.

Nick's confused stare changes, darkens into something of rage and despair. Mila stilled behind me.

"I forget- that's it's not real. I-I think I'm back there. In that p-place. With the k-knife in my hands. The blood." I choke. "I don't want to hurt them. I promise I never wanted to-"

"We know, Meki. We know. You're nothing like him. Just you being here proves that you're not." Mila says, resuming her soothing motions.

Nick nods despite the murderous glare in his eyes. Though I don't think it's directed towards me. "You're as much his victim as they were. I didn't think you were, for a long time I thought you were just like him. But everything you've done, what you're trying to do for the pack. For Kaiden. For our family. You fought against it, what he tried to make you. And you're so strong, Meki. So fucking strong. And we love you. You are our brother, you are home, and we love you. But you don't have to do this alone."

Mila nods, laying her head on my back to cover me with her scent. "We see what you're trying to do. To be the strong Alpha she taught you to be, redeeming yourself and the title. But we're here too. We endured him for years. You're not the only one he tortured. And we have as much Alpha blood as you do, title or no title. We are responsible for this pack. Let us help you. At least until Kaiden can."

I scoff, though it came out more like another sob. "If he even wants this life. He was here and I just ran out like a coward. I wouldn't blame him if he didn't want me, or all of this. I wouldn't even want me. I'm so fucked up."

"I think you're underestimating him." Nick says. "Yes, you didn't use the time he was here to talk to him, but there will be other chances. And you need to remember that you're talking about the kid who came from absolutely nothing. Who's father left him, who's mom has to work three jobs just to keep a roof over their heads. Kade comes to practice every day without fail. He gives every game, big or small, his all. And he feels something for you. I can see it in his eyes. It's more than just attraction. He sees something in you. You just have to give him the chance to look closer."