2

We walk down the street with our hands intertwined. Andrea's going on about a competition coming up but I wasn't really paying attention. Today felt weird. Like amy brain is foggy. Kind of how it feels when you don't sleep enough and you just feel groggy. It's like that. So paying attention wasn't an option. Which wasn't good considering we have our first game in the season next week.

"Are you even listening to me?" Andrea's hand slipped from mine as we stopped walking. Sirens of emergency vehicles blared a couple streets away.

"Yes." I say but when she gives me the look, I correct myself. "No, I'm sorry. It's not you, I just didn't sleep good last night."

"Because it's always about you, isn't it?"

I frown. "What, no. That's not what I'm saying."

"It's true, though. Whenever we talk about you and your problems I'm there, even if I've had a shitty day. But whenever it's my problems, they get put on the back burner."

I sigh. I don't have the patience or the energy to deal with this today. I love my girl but damn it's a lot of work. Sometimes I feel like we just don't click.

"Look, can we just talk about this later? I have a game tonight and a headache and I really can't deal with this right now."

Apparently that wasn't the right reponse because she backtracks and looks even angrier than before. "Shit Kade, I'm so sorry my problems are so hard for you to hear." She says sardonically.

"Shorty, you know I love you. I just have a lot going on. I swear it's not because I don't want to."

"Whatever. Good luck at your game, asshole." She says before walking off in the other direction.

I sigh and tilt my head back towards the grey sky. I was going to pay for that later.

When I arrived at the gym for practice, I take a deep breath. This place gave me a sense of security. Of safety. My home court where I'd been taught everything I knew now. Some of the guys already sat on the bleachers changed in their uniforms. Coaches Ike and Tessa were off to the side discussing new plays we were going to try today.

"Sup, big homie." Nick says as he comes to clap my hand in welcome.

"Hey." Is all I say.

"What, you and Andrea fight again?"

"Yeah. Something about me not listening. Worst part is, I know she's right."

"They're always right, man. Doesn't make it any easier. But you still love her?"

I shrug, "Of course I do. She's my girl. Always has been."

"Then you guys will figure it out." Nick assures me with a pat on the back as I walk off to the lockers to get dressed.

Practice finished with a final drop of sweat from my brow. I welcomed the cold shower of the underfunded gymnasium. It soothed the ache in my muscles. Especially the one on the shoulder blade that's been bothering me for a couple of weeks. Must've pulled it.

I walk out of the building with Nick and another guy next to me. But my usual banter with the team died in my throat when I saw Andrea standing at the bottom of the stairs with tears in her eyes.

I immediately go to her side, asking her what happened. She waved me off saying, "We need to talk."

"Talk, what kind of talk? Your dad didn't hit you again did he? Cause if he did I'll kick his ass." I threaten.

"Jesus, no. It's not that. It's..." She pauses, looking to the ground before back up at me. "It's over, Kaiden."

I shake my head confusedly, "What's over? The championship? If you didn't win there's always next year. We can practice together and-"

"Jesus, not everything is some fucking competition! We're over, Kade! I'm breaking up with you!" She yells.

I freeze as my brain does that blue windows error screen. She rips my hand from hers and starts to walk away but I catch her by the arm before she gets took far.

"Wait, Andrea! I know I haven't been the best boyfriend, but I'm trying! We can work it out! We've always worked it out!"

She spins on her heel and once again rips her arm from my hold. Tears falling from her eyes. "Not this. We can't fix this. You don't love me."

I falter at her words, "I do love you! You're my girl!"

"Not like that I'm not!" She argues back.

"What are you even talking about?!" I yell, starting to get angry at the weird mind games she playing with me.

She takes a moment to compose herself before saying, "Kaiden, look me in the eyes tell me that you love me."

And I do. "I love you." I say with everything. Every feeling I have for her forced to the surface. But it wasn't enough. Because another tear fell.

She shakes her head. "What do you feel when we kiss?"

"What-"

"Just answer the question!"

I sigh frustratedly. "I don't know! Happy?" I say, throwing my arms out.

She smiles sadly at the words, and it was then I knew it was over. She'd already made her decision about us and nothing I could say would change it. A sad smile meant she was coming to terms with it. That she'd accepted something, like my responses were some kind of confirmation.

"You should feel like you're on fire, Kade. You should feel all tingly and tripped out and shit. Like you can't wait for us to be together again. And if it was like that for you, then you the word happy would be a question. You would know exactly what you felt because it's so strong it hurts you to think about it. You don't love me, not in that way. You're my best friend and I don't want to hurt you but we both deserve something real. And this isn't."

At that she leaves. And I watch her leave.