8

Meki's POV

"Okay, so this is the thing about human dating," Nick starts as we all sit around a table. All of us being Mila, Nick and I. "It's really slow."

I frown. "How slow is really slow?" I asked skeptically.

Wolves always had mates, except for those unlucky few that's mates already died. Therefore, there was no need for dating. Most of us we celibate until we met our mates. But I was not.

My original plan was to wait for my mate, but around my third year of high school I hit a really dark place. I didn't take care of myself in any way. And I slept with a lot of people to try and take that pain away.And it didn't help when I thought I didn't have a mate. Why save myself for someone who didn't exist?

Now that I've found him, I wished I waited. I was disgusted that my body had been with anyone but him. Nick had also said Kaiden had broken up with his girlfriend recently, which meant there was a good chance he'd done it with her as well. It made me sick to think about so I tried not to.

I knew humans sexuality and brain chemistry was a little diffferent. They did stuff like dating, a vulnerable thing which usually didn't end well. Some gave up and some kept going until they found someone they were happy with. We didn't have any reason for that. The moon gave us the only love we'd have. I was grateful she'd given me mine.

"Like most couples don't say they love each other until their at least three months in."

I go wide eyed. That was an insane amount of time to be with a person. With mates, we didn't fall in love instantaneously, but we knew we would be in love soon enough. That this was our one. Wolves usually mated within the first two days, and within a week we'd be completely in love.

The moon did give us on thing, though. The very second we smell their scent, see them for the first time, our wolves would do anything for them.

If Kaiden was about to get run over by a train I'd jump in front of it and throw him aside. If there was a gun pointed at his head I'd stand in it's way. Anything for him.

"The other thing you have to know is you're both men. And humans don't like people who are with other people that are the same gender. So you might get some looks from people, some might even yell at you or Kaiden for being together. And you also have to consider he might not be aware of his attraction to you or okay with it because hetersexuality is so engrained in their society. His family might not accept him. The team might not want him to play for them anymore, despite how good he is. And even if he is accepting of himself, his profession isn't going to be. He might want to hide your relationship, initially for his own professional safety. He's never expressed hate against same gendered couples, but I'd still play it cautious."

My wolf growled in anger at the thought of having to hide my mate. My instincts are to mark him, to make him mine and to present him as such. Humans, a species so full of hate they can barely tolerate each other. In wolf culture, mates could be differently gendered or the same gender or non binary or really anything. It didn't matter because they were ours and we would protect and provide for them. We didn't even have a word for it. Gay, straight, homosexual, heterosexual, none of it. We were all just wolves and mates, alphas and betas. Simple.

Humans were much more complex and I hated it. But I didn't want to put my mate in danger, so for now, I'd comply with their rules. Now matter how trivial it seemed to me. If his profession didn't want him, I'd provide for him and our family. His family rejects him, I'd be there waiting to give him a new one. He doesn't need them. He doesn't need any of them if they don't see his worth. All he needs is me.

The other issue of the past few days is the overwhelming need to claim him as mine. My dick would, on several occasions, get heated just from the mere sight of him. I was worried about taking this slow for the reasons of heats. If a mated paid didn't solidify the bond by way of sexual marking, a heat would be brought on. It was the moon's way of pushing us toward each other.

If that happens, or when that happens, I'll probably have to be locked up to be kept from him. It'll be excruciating but I can't hurt him. As big as he is, I was still a wolf and I am much stronger. Though I'm curious how it'll feel to him, if he feels it at all. We still don't know much about human mates, but we've contacted the pack in Siberia to see if they know anything.

"Otherwise, when you're not around I'll stay close to him. Make sure he's safe. If you think you can control yourself, you can come to our games. Just say you're there for me or something. It'll give you an opportunity to properly introduce yourself to him and the team."

I nod worriedly. This was all a lot and I still run the risk of being rejected. Humans are fragile, and something could happen to Kaiden at any given moment which terrifies me to no end.

I haven't been around humans since high school, almost five years ago. In Serbia, I only ever stayed with the pack. There was no need to ever leave it. So I was also learning to speak English again and speak it to humans who communicate much differently than we do. They were so indirect it was almost scary. You never know if something we sarcasm or real anger. And passive aggressiveness as a thing too. Wolves are much more blunt with their feelings and thoughts.

"I want to add," Mila jumps in. "Kaiden is black."

"Yeah, so?" I shrug.

"You aren't." She points out. "He's grown up in a country that doesn't accept him as an equal. Your pairing is not only same gendered, but mixed race. That is something you need to remember as well."

I nod, sighing as I recap our little 'communicating with humans crash course' session.

"Is that all?" I ask.

They both voice their finishing statements that basically I need to be careful because the society we share the planet with is going to be against every part of our future relationship. Which angers me to no end. The moon gave us each other, our souls are shared. We shouldn't hide it because of dumb humans.

And we wouldn't. But for now, this was what I had to do to secure the safety of my mate. A couple months was nothing compared to decades together. I can do this.

A nice long one for you guys.