12

My birthday was not entertaining whatsoever. Ever since me and Ms. Wright's little field trip, we have hardly talked. I remember her telling me she got me a present for my birthday, but she barely even made any eye contact with me in class. The school is hosting this winter formal and I've been thinking about taking Max. My friends have been obsessed with Max and knowing his every piece of character.

I walk into English class and it felt like every other day. Miss Wright ignoring me and me ignoring her. Even when I raise my hand for a question, she always picks someone else. I was tired of all this silent fight, but I'm not going to do anything about it. There is nothing I can do, she is my teacher. I am her student, it will always be like that.

"Veronica, come back to my desk after the bell," Ms. Wright says out of the blue two minutes before class ends. Everyone was packing up their bag and I did too because I expected whatever she has to say won't be long.

My leg bounced underneath my desk as I impatiently wait for the bell to ring. I hear multiple conversations happening around me.

"Veronica! You coming to the party tomorrow?" a girl asks me. I glance back at Ms. Wright to see if she's listening but it looks like she's grading some papers. It's Thursday, usually, they like to do parties on Saturdays but I won't mind a Friday party.

"Yeah, I'm for sure going," I tell her.

"Awesome, can't wait, It's at Lake Ovar," She tells me. Lake Ovar is a lake about 10 minutes south of our town. Even though it's October, I know kids will still want to skinny dip.

The bell finally rings and kids are rushing to get out of the door. I wait until the last student leaves to stand up from my desk. I look back at Ms. Wright's desk and she's sitting there with her head in her hands watching me. I nervously walk toward her.

"Grab a chair and sit next to me," She orders. I drag a chair at set it about a foot next to her. Before I could sit down, she grabs the chair and pulls it closer to her, so it was a mere few inches away. I flatten my skirt against my legs before sitting down.

"Close your eyes and put your hands out," Ms. Wright tells me to do and I follow her instructions. I hear her open a drawer in her desk before placing something somewhat heavy in my hands.

"Open your eyes," She tells me. I open them to see some kind of jewelry box.

Inside the box was the most gorgeous necklace I've ever seen. A small pendant lay on a little velvet cushion, the chain was thin. Inside the pendant was a raw cut rose quartz. A gold crown surrounds it including the long gold chain.

"It's beautiful," I tell her.

"I know we aren't exactly in a good spot right now, but I still wanted to give you your birthday present," Ms. Wright says in an almost whisper.

"I can't-" Before I could say more she interrupts,

"Let me put it on you," Erica insists.

I take out the necklace and hand it to her. She stands up from her seat and stands behind me. Erica clips the necklace and pulls out my hair from underneath, but she does not return to her seat. Erica continues to play with my hair and I tilt my head back to see her face.

"Your hair is so soft," She tells me, suddenly a pained look wiped across her face and she stopped winding my strands of hair in her fingers. Erica returns to her chair and fiddles with her hands. 

"Are you going to be a chaperone at the winter formal?" I ask breaking the barrier of ice.

"Do you want me to?" She asks our eyes locking.

"I mean... I don't know. But, I have a really pretty dress, it's pink. This necklace would match it elegantly," I tell her.

"I'll think about it. In the meantime go to volleyball," She responds. I stand up and she remains sitting. Without thinking, I hug her. I feel her arms wrap around me and one of them gently traces my hair. Our bodies connect perfectly like two final pieces on a puzzle. This might be the last time that we even touch after we agreed to try to end things.