3

Cooper got home to see his mother, frantically packing specific items in boxes.
    "Hey Cooper," she said, catching her breath, "mind grabbing the freezer bags for me?"
    Cooper handed her a box of Ziploc freezer bags, and she took the whole roll and separated incense sticks into separate bags, presumably by different types. "What's going on."
     "Oh you know just," her mood changed quickly and she lowered her voice, "CPS."
     "Oh"
     She spoke again at normal volume, "if you don't mind packing up anything that might tip someone off— when they already suspect that we're horrible people. Take them to school and put it all in your locker."
     "Um, alright Mom."

                                       ***
     "Why don't you use your locker," Adelaide asks. They walked down the bustling hallway to Adelaide's locker. Black sharpie bore a derogatory term on the door to Adelaide's locker.
     "That's why"

                                       ***
     "Round One of the Allen County Literature Competition starts today!" Mrs. Anderson jittered with excitement, "I should have them make an announcement for you, you're representing our school so well."
     "No! I mean, no thank you."
     "Is it a problem?"
     "I just don't think it's a good idea to put my name... anywhere in this school, right now."
     "If you say so. I just really wanted everyone to know how proud I am."
     "And I appreciate it, I really do. Just, please don't make it too public."
     "I understand," she says, turning back to her computer, "hurry along to class now, I don't want you to be late because of me."
     She doesn't understand, Cooper thought to himself, nobody understands, he thought. That wasn't true, he knew that. Adelaide understood. That's why Adelaide didn't take the chances that Cooper did.
     "Cooper, are you alright?" A voice behind him startled him. It was Rory."
     "Yeah, yeah I'm just. I'm uh, I'm really tired," realizing that they actually were tired, they started yawning.
     "Oh, alright then," she didn't believe him, "I'll see you at lunch I guess."
     "Yeah, I'll see ya..."