6

"Are you sure you don't want to wait till class starts?" Adelaide asks.
     "No, this bathroom is small, I'll be fine."
     "I'm sure Mr. Hammond won't care."
     "You don't understand," Cooper said, and Adelaide frowned. "Not like that, I'm sorry, I really need to go."
     "Okay..."

     There was a longer wait for the bathroom than initially expected, but Cooper saw no issue. He queued as anyone would, checking the time. Four minutes. He may be a bit late, but it was no worry. Mr. Hammond would understand. He waited. He was the next in line, but another guy went into the stall anyway, completely disregarding Cooper. Rude, Cooper thought, but did not worry. He would definitely be late, but again, Mr. Hammond would understand. But then another guy pushed ahead, and then another guy, until it did not seem so random.
     "Hey, outta my way, he-she," one guy pushed Cooper back so he stumbled. "I'm not sure if I feel safe with you here. You want to watch me? Is that what you people want? Are you violating my privacy?"
     Cooper didn't bother to respond, instead giving him a look.
     "I think she wants to see me? You wanna see me use the bathroom? What a pervert!" A voice shouted. "Is that why you're in here, you wanna see my-"
     "Please ignore them," another voice whispered behind Cooper, "I'm so sorry."
     "Let's show her."
     Cooper was finally able to make it into a bathroom stall. He sat down, but anxiety had taken over his body.
     "Aw I thought you wanted to see it"
     "If you don't want to, maybe you should've gone next door. Don't go into the room with urinals, that's not for you."
     They crowded in front of the door, and yelled down the hallway. More and more people came in.
     "She has to come out," someone whispered, "she ain't gonna miss class."
     "No, don't let her out," another one whispered, "it's her own fault, this is what she should've expected."
     Tears ran down Cooper's face. He knew not what to do. He pulled out his phone to text Adelaide.

I don't think I'm coming to class. I'm sorry, I should have listened.

She texted back momentarily:

What happened?!?!

I will tell you in person. Don't worry. I'll be fine

     But Cooper was not sure of anything.

    Eventually the crowd died down and everyone went to class. Cooper stayed contemplating his next move. When the bathroom was empty he could do his business, but what next? Some of those boys were in their next class? Could they just go back and pretend nothing happened? Certainly not. He sat for another ten minutes before he decided. He walked toward the office.

***
     "Those are the only names I have. I didn't recognize a lot of the other boys, and if I did I can't put a name to them."
     The bell rang.
     "Do you feel safe walking to your next class?" Mrs. Albert asked.
     "Yes, I think so. Thank you!"
     "No worries. And don't hesitate to come back if anything else happens."

     Cooper explained the situation to Adelaide. They remained calmer than expected, but he was rather detached from the emotions he felt. He was more robotic than ever.
     "I'm so sorry Cooper," Adelaide hugged him. "You should start going to the office bathroom, or they might let you use the faculty one."
     "I can't let them win. I'm not going to segregate myself because of this."
     "I'm more worried about your safety."
     "I'll be fine." He said, but he wasn't sure he believed it.