4

It's often seen in movies that you can see and hear the sounds of a fighting couple from the streets. It's almost never that obvious in real life, but sometimes, before he even steps up to the porch, Cooper can get the feeling that something is off. His heart pounded, and he felt sweat drip down his chest as he slowly turned the door knob.
     "You—" his mother's voice yelled before she stopped, looking at the door. She didn't mind the kids seeing her argue with her husband, but when it got this bad she was always able to hide it.
     "Hey sweetie," she runs to her son to give him a tight hug, "how was school?"
     "It was okay, I guess. What's going on?"
     "Oh it's nothing I'm just, we're just... your father and I just had a little disagreement, nothing for you to worry about."
     "Alright then... I'm gonna go upstairs"
     "Okay honey," she kissed his forehead, "I'll call you down when supper's ready."
     "You can't keep lying to them, Susan," his father said.
     "I'm protecting them. Don't you see how scary this can be? Right, you don't. Because your parents are still happily married and living on an island in Michigan!"

                                       ***
     "Hey Cooper," Susan slowly opens the bedroom door, "hurry and pack something up to last a few nights. We're going on a little trip."

                                       ***
      Cooper's phone buzzes in the middle of class. It couldn't be Adelaide— she's right next to them. They sneak a quick peek at their phone:

AMATEUR ROUND RESULTS
1st: Mackenzie O'Donnell with 'Galaxy Calling'
2nd: Aiden Jackson with 'Miracle Goodnight'
3rd: Caiden Calloway with 'To Hear Every Morning'

     The message ended there, so Cooper had to unlock his phone.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE TOP THREE. ALONG WITH THE WINNERS, MOVING ON TO THE INTERMEDIATE ROUND ARE:
4th place Andrew Campbell, 5th place Cooper Collins, 6th place Crystal Evans, 7th place Madison Nightly, 8th place Emerson Floyd, 9th place Harper Livingston, and 10th place Sloane Carter

     Fifth place. That was it. But Cooper was moving on. Before he knew it, the class was silent, and he looks up to see Mr. Hammond looking down at him.
     "There must be something really important on that phone of yours," he says.
     Cooper slides his phone in his backpack, "It was nothing, I apologize."
     "If I see that thing again it's mine," Mr Hammond walked back to his desk in a huff. Cooper started doodling in their notes so it looked like they were doing something. Frankly, Cooper knew they likely wouldn't understand the lesson even if they had been paying attention.

                                        ***
     "Congratulations Cooper on making it to the intermediate round. I knew you could do it!" Mrs. Anderson applauded, "well, I knew you were good enough."
     "Thank you, Mrs. Anderson, but it's fifth place!"
     "It's your first contest! And we don't know how it will turn out. You're being sent to a new group of judges so you could be placed very differently. I wish you the best of luck!"

                                         ***
     "Cooper, why didnt you walk home yesterday?" Adelaide catches him waiting in the front of the school one day, instead of walking home like usual, "I was worried."
    Cooper glances to each side, making sure few can see him. "Oh nothing, I'm just staying with my mom somewhere."
     "But you— oh, Cooper," she realizes, "I'm so sorry"
     "It's for the best," he says, as he sees his mother's car in the distance.
     "I'll talk to you later Cooper," Adelaide says, "My mom's gonna wonder where I am."
     "Yeah see ya," Cooper steps into his Mom's car. Adelaide turns and walks away.
     "Oh god," Susan waves her hand in front of her face, "have people been smoking around here?"
     "I don't know," Cooper responds, "wouldn't surprise me though. The hallways smell like this sometimes."
     "Seriously? No wonder your asthma's been so bad lately. Maybe you should stay home for a few days."
     "No!"
     "Oh? That's surprising, I mean, most kids would love to stay home from school given the chance."
     "I think I like school right now."
     "That's good honey, I'm so glad."
     Really? Cooper thought. If you knew why I liked being at school, would you still be glad?
    It wasn't worth asking. Cooper knew the answer.