7

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE INTERMEDIATE TOP THREE:
1st: Aiden Jackson with 'Miracle Goodnight'
2nd: Sloane Carter with 'Cookies for Margo'
3rd: Cooper Collins with 'More Pride, Less Prejudice'

     Cooper stopped reading. That was all the info he needed. Only two others made it to the advanced round. And Cooper was above them.

     "I'm so proud of you Cooper," Mr. Grant embraced him.
     "Thank you, thank you so much." It wasn't much, but to Cooper it was everything. And he couldn't do it without Mr. Grant.

      "Cooper! You're like, a professional writer dude!" Adelaide squealed with excitement. She hugged him so hard he couldn't catch his breath, "my boyfriend is a professional writer!"
     "I wouldn't say professional"
     "Even better! You're more talented than most people in our area!"

     "Cooper!" Mrs. Anderson found them at lunch. "I heard the news! Advanced round! I'm so proud of you!"
     "You made it? How come you didn't tell us?" Rory exclaimed.
     "I was going to-"
     "What place?"
     "Third!" Mrs. Anderson jittered with excitement, "from fifth to third. That's a huge leap!"
     "It's the same story-"
     "And these judges better recognize it was a good one!" Rory said, "I can't wait to see how you place this next round."

***
     "You can't just not pee," Adelaide said.
     "I can and I will. I used to hold it all day freshman year, I can start doing that again."
     "Cooper you got a kidney infection. It was the most traumatizing trip to the ER you ever had. And you were in a lot of pain."
     Physical pain, Cooper thought, but didn't have the heart to say it.
     "Just map out the classes that will be lenient and go then. It's not healthy to hold it for so long, especially when it's painful."
     "You care about me so much and I hate it." Cooper joked. Adelaide made sure no one was looking before she kissed his forehead.

***
     "Cooper, I hate to ask this, but you're going to have to start working," Susan told her son, in tears. "My paycheck isn't cutting it anymore."

***
    "Join a church. You don't have to be religious, but they offer financial help."
    "But every Sunday?"
    "Every Sunday could mean a lot later on."

***
     "An entry level job pays nothing."
     "But it reduces the 'somethings' that I have to pay Cooper."

***
    Cooper finally had the heart to tell his mom what happened in the bathroom, which was almost a week ago.
    "Oh baby I'm so sorry," she held him and cried, "I wish I could still protect you like I did when you were little."

     It wasn't a one-time conversation.
     "I don't know if I feel okay letting you go to that school anymore. When you start driving there's this school downtown where your cousin went. There were only seventeen people in her senior class."
    "Maybe"
    "Cooper, I don't want you to get hurt. I can't let anyone hurt you anymore. I knew this would happen but I didn't see you hurting so bad."
     "I'll just use the office bathroom."
     "I don't know. I don't want to force you I guess. But I'm scared for you."