Newt (The Maze Runner)

In which newt and y/n take a chance (fluff) ....written sometime in the last few years.

*Unedited*

I stood up as the sweat poured down my back. I looked around the Glade,watching as the other Gladers did their daily work. I watched as Minho and Thomas got ready for their Maze Run. I looked back over at the tower to see Newt and Alby probably discussing tonight's party. I glanced over at Chuck who was currently pulling branches down off of a tree to help make a new ladder.

Just as I get back to planting, I hear Gally's voice boom for all the Gladers to report to the meeting hall. I groan out loud wondering what dumb speech we had to listen to today. I took my gloves off and threw them on the ground. Using the back of my hand to wipe the dirt that accumulated on my face as I slumped towards the meeting hall. At least there is shade.

Once inside the house Alby & Newt took the stand at the front before asking us all to take a seat and relax. I sat down on the poorly crafted stone chair & someone handed me a mason jar full of water. I took a sip and focused all my attention on the boys ahead of me. At first I was trying to catch Newts attention but he was busy talking to Alby so I gave up, glancing around the meeting hall watching the boys file in. Once everyone was seated Alby started.

"As you know there are only 2 girls here in the Glade," Alby started motioning to me & Teresa; "They all put in much work for us and the other gladers. Without them I fear this little community would have nothing to brighten its fields with." I glance over at Teresa and she's just about ready to give in. I throw her a bright smile that she catches and returns.

"So in honor of the girls, Newt and I have decided to throw a celebration tonight and tomorrow everyone gets the day off;" Alby finishes. The boys erupt into loud hoots and hollers just as Minho and Thomas come into the meeting house. I catch Newt's eye finally and raise an eyebrow. He gives me a don't worry look and smiles. Soon the meeting is over and we all return to work as normal.

I got back to the garden & prepared to pick some flowers for the party decorations when I heard my name being called out in the distance. I turn around to see Newt running after me; "Y/n! Wait up!" I spin around just as Newt and I collided "Ow!" I say with a small giggle;" What's up Newt? " I watched him fumble around his pockets before pulling out a small necklace that was made from thinned out twine with small pieces of rock crystals strung on it. I felt my heart melt. "For you!" He presented the necklace to me proudly.

"Oh Newt! It's beautiful! Thank you!" I exclaimed the necklace in my hands closely; "How did you make it?", I asked puzzled. "Well..It was very difficult & very time consuming but I knew you'd like it." He smiled

I threw my arms around him pulling him into a hug, I felt him wrap his arms around my waist to pull me closer, giving me a reassuring squeeze. I pulled back after a few seconds to look into his eyes. I felt my heart beating faster and faster, as my eyes trailed up from his lips, to his nose & finally to his beautiful deep chocolate eyes. When our gazes locked I felt a zap go through my body. I watched his pupils dilate and I knew he felt it too, our lips were just about to touch but we were interrupted by the sound of the gears closing the entrance to the Maze. Locking us in for the night. Effectively killing the moment, I see Newt look up and his arms dropped to his side.
"I'll see you later tonight, yeah?" he said quietly, noticing the amount of eyes on us. I merely nodded my head looking back down at the necklace, he quickly fastened the necklace around my neck & with that he turned to leave.

I watched him walk away just as Teresa came up behind me. "When are you two gonna tell Alby that you two are a thing?" I jumped a little turning around to face her, my face blushing; "Be quiet Te! Someone might hear! " She playfully nudged my shoulder a bit; " Newt's a keeper" she took the necklace that was hanging on my neck into her fingers. "Don't let him go" she whispered, giving me a small kind smile and walking back towards the homestead.