IX.

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄
༊*·˚☆: *.☽

i. act i !

— 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐄𝐃𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐃 𝐏𝐔𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐃 into the driveway of his house, Willow wasn't expecting him to stop her from getting out of the car

He gently placed his cold hand on top of hers and waited until she made eye contact with him before speaking.

"You know I'd never leave you, right?" He asked softly.

And Willow only stared at him in wonder. "How do you do that?"

"Do what?"

"You know exactly what to say as if you can read my mind." She replied, eyes full of admiration.

Edward only chuckled at her statement, as he patted her hand lightly. "I guess I just know you that well. I'm a good friend, aren't I?"

Willow only rolled her eyes and laughed. "You wish!"

And when she finally stepped out of the car, she felt as if she was leaving the looming thoughts within her head in the car as well.

She felt happy, and she was going to enjoy it while it lasted.

— 𝐁𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 Willow left the Cullen house for the second time, she felt much closer to the Hale twins.

She and Jasper had bonded over their mutual liking for history, and she and Rosalie had enjoyed teasing Emmett together.

She also got roped into going shopping with Alice over the weekend, and when the pixie-like girl had walked away with a triumphant smile — she'd left behind a shocked Willow, wondering how they had gotten to that point in the first place.

Edward had wandered over to the brunette and smirked in amusement as he sat down. "That's Alice for you. Don't feel too bad. Almost no one gets away from her."

And then she was saying her goodbyes to the family and texted her cousin that she was on her way while getting into the car.

"Why can't you drive onto the reservation, again?" Willow suddenly asked, looking up from her phone.

Edward gripped the steering wheel for a moment, before smiling a bit awkwardly. "It was an agreement my ancestors made with the Tribe Council a long time ago. We aren't allowed to go onto the reservation."

The brunette's brows raised in surprise. "Wow. That's a bit intense."

The boy only shook his head, as if to shake away the topic of conversation — and remained silent for the rest of the ride.

Willow closed her eyes and relaxed into the seat. "Could you wake me up when we're almost there?" She whispered, and when he gently hummed in agreement — she was almost surprised that he heard her at all.

But before she could follow the thought, sleep was taking her away.

— 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘 came to; Willow noticed she wasn't in the car with Edward anymore.

She looked over to see Briar driving and slowly sat up to glance around. Through her sleep-addled mind, she could still recognize the houses they were passing — which told her they were almost home.

"How did I get in the car?"

Briar glanced over before her eyes flicked back onto the road. "I moved past the boundary and let Edward carry you into the car. He didn't wanna wake you up."

The younger of the two blushed slightly and tried to pretend that Briar wasn't smirking in amusement now.

"Don't say it."

"I won't say anything. Just know I'm definitely thinking it."

Willow sighed, and once again glanced outside of the window.

"Yeah. I figured."

— 𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐇𝐄 was about to fall asleep in the comfort of her bed, her phone pinged with a notification from her messages.

Groggily, she opened her phone and read the message.

Embry
I need to talk to you.

Embry
Not about the Cullens.

Willow put her phone down and sighed. She stared at the ceiling in fruitless hope of the blank white slate giving her a solution to the situation.

And when it didn't, she stared for a moment longer.

Deep down, she knew she still cared about Embry — even though she was most definitely angry at him. She wanted to hear what he had to say to her, but she would absolutely not take him bad-mouthing Edward anymore.

With that in mind, she finally replied.

Willow
One ill word about ANY of the Cullens, and I stop responding.

Willow
However, I really do wanna hear what you have to say.

Embry
Can we do it in person?

Willow
It's the middle of the night.

Embry
I'm outside your house.

Sure enough, when she glanced out her window, she saw an Embry-shaped silhouette standing next to the tree in her yard.

She quickly dialed his number — the only one she still remembered by heart and held the phone up to her ear.

"Alright. Let's talk."